Laminate Floating Flooring or Vinyl Flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoytcrx32

Reaction score
I have researched the floating Laminate Flooring and the Vinyl Flooring and can’t make my mind up on which one to get. I really like them both and they both have their own personal qualities. I tend to lean to Laminate but then I come back to Vinyl. Any suggestions or information that I might have missed in my research? This is for my living room, hallway, dinning room and kitchen. Thanks!!

Laminate flooring in a kitchen or bathroom is not recommended because it is usually not waterproof. Some have limited water resistance, but if water is not cleaned up quickly, it could cause the laminate to swell up, causing a full tear out.

All personal opinions from someone that has been dealt with houses for well over 40 years.
Flippers use laminate all the time for a cheap quick fix to cover up what's under it.
I walk into a home for sale and I see laminate and it looks cheap, shinny, slippery, often makes noise when walked on.
In my own home that I've moved back into I have vinyl stip click lock 100% waterproof floors in the kitchen and bathroom and real wood flooring in the livingroom and bedroom and love it.
The vinyl lived through 3 renters in 10 years with 0 damage.
Easy to clean.

I agree with Joe, when you see laminate, it looks like something bad was covered. The stuff looks cheap because it is cheap.

Not all laminate is cheap looking and some are water resistant. Laminates have come a long way. Do your homework and pick what you like.

"water resistant" is not the same as "water proof".

I never said it was 'waterproof'. Any wood floor will be damaged by water on it for a period of time. But some laminates (Harmonic) claim 24 hour water resistance. Do your homework before buying.

Back