Lap Siding Replacement on Chimney

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bapgobears

Reaction score
Dear House Repair Experts,

Do you think I should get all the siding replaced on this chimney? It currently is a wood composite. I think ODF. What materials would you recommend for the replacement? Any ideas on what a job like that should cost? I was thinking of renting a boom from Home Depot and doing the repair myself, but I don't like heights. Not sure if the city of Fremont would want me replacing all of the siding. Maybe some boards without a permit. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brett

Attachments

• Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ChimneyCloser.jpg
    ChimneyCloser.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ChimneyAboveRoof.jpg
    ChimneyAboveRoof.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
I don’t think you will know the condition of the framing inside until you remove a few pieces and see how it was built.

Do you think it was an add on?

Do you think there was a brick or something solid chimney and then they just covered it over?

What’s the fireplace like inside. They build this type of chase to hide a metal chimney sometimes.

As far as material I like the Hardy siding products.

Thanks for your input Bud! That's the original chimney and original siding. The house is 32 years old. It's not a big fireplace - only good for DuraFlame logs. It is just metal pipe going up. I replaced some of the low siding myself just to get a feel for it. The framing seemed good, but there was no sheathing on that side, just the wrap. Not sure what to expect on that side facing the street. I trimmed back the trees as you can see in the photo, but I need to get those high limbs too.

Attachments

• Siding.jpg
    Siding.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 4
If you want to do this just one time and not have to go back and repaint it at some point. I'd strip it all including the trim and replace it all with vinyl siding, or Smart side with 5/4 PVC lumber for trim.
Whatever you replace it with I'd take the time to correct the building 101 error I see where the siding was installed to close to the shingles.
There should have been about a 2" gap there.

Every project requires you to decide how far to go.

It is hard to advise on this, as my suggestion was to pull some of lower siding that would be easy to get at and inspect what was behind it for damage. Likely if there is some it will be lower. Sounds like you did that and what replaced looks like a good job so far.

Using Hardy siding or something else and maybe replacing the trim is a good idea if you want less work down the road. If working from heights is not your thing then you could maybe do up as high as you feel ok with and hire a handyman to help you finish it off at the top.

The critical part will be where it meets the other shingle room and getting step flashing done correctly there or whatever kind of flashing they do for that type of shingle.

Back