Large tile gap in shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelsix

Reaction score
Hi - I have a new home and recently noticed that there is a large gap between the floor and wall tiles in our shower. It is a standalone shower and not a tub shower with standard white subway tile on the walls. Currently, the gap is filled with caulk and has a lot of mold visible. I would say the gaps are from a 1/4" to 3/8th" at the widest portion.

Is a heavy bead of caulk (as is there now) okay to fill gaps this large?

I was considering buying quarter round tile trim and adding this to cover the gap. Is this advisable? What is the best method to apply?

Thanks for your help

I’m not a tile expert but I would think dig out the old caulk and fill the gap with grout. If that doesn’t look good then maybe cover it with the trim tile not sure how good it will hold tile to tile though.

Years ago I did a kitchen counter with tile and the bull nose edge pieces I glued on with construction grade liquid nails rather than the thin set. It has been 30 years and they still look like the day I glued them on and they have seen their share of water.

Tile pros will be along.

Remove the caulk and replace with modified sanded grout. Do not use water to mix, use the vinyl add mix.

Caulk is the correct method to seal between a tile wall and a tile floor.

Keep in mind that if the existing caulk is silicone, nothing will stick to cured silicone, not even more silicone. So if you remove silicone caulk, you need to do an extremely thorough job of removing every last trace of it, if you want new caulk to adhere properly.

Thanks for the replies. What would you say is the max allowable gap for caulk without having to add a backer rod?

I would remove every last little bit of whatever is there, then install high quality grout as Snoonyb advised.

Then after a few days, I would cover the grout with silicone caulk.

There is often some movement at the floor to wall joint, so grout alone is not always a reliable water barrier.
But having grout in that gap is still a good scaffold on which to lay a reliable bead of silicone caulk.
And they can support and reinforce each other.
IMHO.

Some good replies, and I'm intrigued by Snoonyb's suggestion. My first thought was to use a sanded, siliconized grout. The issue with using regular grout between the bottom of the wall where it meets the shower is that as the shower flexes when you get in and out and it will cause the grout to crack. As a handyman, I'm constantly being hired to remove that line of grout and replace it with caulking. The siliconized grout has a little flexibility to it and is recommended by manufacturers to use in areas where you expect to see a little movement; like where walls meet floors. The sanded siliconized grout should be able to fill in the larger gap that you have. I'm not saying the other answers are wrong or that mine is better. That was just simply my first thought. You can get the sanded, siliconized caulk at any home center

EricK, are you recommending sanded siliconized caulk or sanded siliconized grout?

You used both terms so I am confused now.

EricK, are you recommending sanded siliconized caulk or sanded siliconized grout?

You used both terms so I am confused now.
Sorry about the confusion. I meant to say sanded, siliconized caulk

Back