Laser line things

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

Reaction score
Does anyone know how accurate the laser line things are? Better yet, what are they called? It's the gadget that shines a laser that's supposed to allow you to work in a straight line.

They are pretty good, depending on what you get. For some jobs, like putting up suspended ceiling, a self levelling laser that shoots a line quite wide (ie will hit most of a wall with a line) are really nice. For outside stuff, like figuring out just how tall the clothesline poll is going to have to be compared to the house, the type that shoot one beam in a line are nice. They usually are good to about 100 feet or so. The more you pay, the more features you get, and the better the accuracy is for longer distances (or rather, the better the laser - less spread over distance).

I have one, and I'm glad I do. It makes some jobs really easy (like figuring out slope on a wheelchair ramp.) But it won't make a good carpenter out of a bad one, and I can do just about everything I do with the laser with other tools. It's a matter of speed and convenience.

I've used the laser - levellers - just the other day to hand a curtain rod and a shelf, in fact - they are simple to use, for my money worth it.

Back