Lawn Help Needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry22

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help with our back lawn. We have two large dogs and as you can see from the attached photos our law looks awful. We believe it is definitely our dogs urine that is killing the grass as well as some lack of sunlight I would assume but I don't know how much effect that would have. One photo is from the side of the house and the other is from the back porch.

Also, when we first moved in and noticed the issue we bought some Scott's grow in shade grass seed, followed the directions, and watered it well. However, it was to no avail. Two years later, I am coming to you for expert advice and hopefully, help. We are definitely willing to try a different product if you guys can really vouch it.

Thanks!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Larry, I don't know what part of the country you're in but in middle TN the best time of year to plant grass is early fall. Grass seed thats sown in the spring and summer create plant growth and not root growth to survive heat stress from the summer conditions. Fall and winter the grass may look dormant but it is growing it's root system.

Well for one it's very hard to get grass to grow with the kind of traffic dogs give it. I would separate the yard into two sections that you can grow the grass one one while allowing the dogs on the other then switch once the grass is established. And as oldog siad - best to spread seed in the fall after summer heat has passed - help you to save on the watering bill too. Good luck,

Scott

Yes, in order to easily optimize your lawn and garden units for a long winters nap, the best step to take is to cover the units with a thick blanket. In this way, you will have a leg-up on Old Man Winter. However, if you happen to have a shed that is covered and protected from the freezing temperatures, then that’s a no-brainer!

Back