Lawn maintenance help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... it's me again... some of your know that I have torn both rotator cuffs and had them repaired in the past 4 years. Now.... I've done something to my back.🙄 I just finished 8 weeks of PT and was released because I am not progressing. Waiting on my MD to order an MRI..... anyway... the point.

I'm tired of asking my boys to help with the yard, so i need to seriously consider either a lawn service or a small riding lawn mower. The gate it would have to fit through is 40" wide, but it would need to be a little narrower than that to fit. I have seen the 30" that Lowes and Home Depot sell for $1200 are they junk? Would i be better off to try to find a used one (although it would need to be delivered)?
I just need some peace in life and a decent yard would be nice.
I'm open to suggestions and honest advice!

The small Troy-Bilt or Cub Cadet are pretty good machines and will run you between $1000 and $1500. keep the blade sharp and the oil changed and clean them up after using, store in a dry place and you will get many years out of them. Keep a trickle charger on the battery when it will be sitting a long time like over the winter and if it gets real cold maybe even bring the battery in for the winter and keep it charged. Check the air cleaner once a month and knock the dirt out and replace it when it gets to bad.

One of these will pay for itself in a couple years if you are paying to have your grass cut.

I'd find out what a real lawn service would charge to do it first, then you can do the math.
The price to mow will depend on how big a yard it is, what do they have to mow around, that small a gate will be a big factor on the price, likely there going to have to use a push mower because there not going to have a mower that small, very few will have a 36" stand up mower.
They would also trim it while there mowing it and it does not sound like your going to be able to do that in your condition.
Got any place to store a rider and the gas can out of the weather?
There's other factors to consider, cost of a gas can, cost of gas, time having to go get the gas and being able to lift the can twice, once to fill, once to empty.
Cost and time to maintain a mower, knowing how to store it properly in the off season.
Dealing with having to try and get it started in the spring.
Figuring out a way to remove the blades and getting them sharpened every year.
Someone will also have to change the oil and dispose of the old oil every year.
All that's taken care of if you hire a lawn service.

My son used to cut grass during his HS days and breaks from college. He charged a too low $25 for yards in our neighborhood of .25 - .33 acres. I just pulled a note off my mailbox from a HS sophomore willing to do it for $15-20. Including edging and blowing. I'm half tempted to hire him. I DIY mine.

I'd hire him and see what happens.
In my area there's lot of high school aged kids, schools closed until next year and I've never found one willing to work. I went through 12 in one year trying to help them get started in there own business where they could make far more then flipping burgers.
Most quit on the first day saying it's to hard, it's to hot, it's boring.
I'm 67 and could outwork them any day!
The rest just slowed me down, they had no clue how to do anything, had no interest in learning, and just wanted to hide from me and talk on there cell phone.

So its 0.24 acres including the house.... for the time being, I would have to keep it under a big tarp. I normally push mow it and weedeat, but I cant currently. I'm tired of asking my boys to do it (in a timely manner) I have already gotten some quotes and they are $40-$50 each week. I got a message today for another quote and it was $75 😳.
I'll keep all your suggestions in mind as I try to decide. Thank you guys for being thorough.

Tried posting on Facebook in your local area?
In my area there's always someone posting they will beat anyone's price, if there posting that type of ad for sure there not going to be around for long, but you could ride it out and save some money for a while.

So..... I went and looked at the 30" riders. I'm too fat for them 😳🙄🤦🏼‍♀️. Can nothing just be easy for me?
Of note, went to the MD today and he is finally going to order an MRI for me.

Joe, yes there are used ones for sale, just not small ones. It has to fit through a gate. I mowed the front yard yesterday, it looks like crap and I walked through 1.5 to 2 inches of water almost the entire time, but the front is mowed.
Now, if I could just find someone to pick up what the contractor left behind in the yard, it would look better. Well, if you can get over the lawn ornament (car).

Really should avoid mowing the lawn if it's really wet.
As you saw it comes out a matted mess, and it's really hard on the mower.
Not looking forward to the rest of the week myself.
It's rained, record cold temp's, and the winds been blowing everyday since Monday so I'm behind on mowing 25 yards.
You may want to get a price on having a fence company come change that gate to a double gate so it's not such an issue.
I do have a nice lady that I see out mowing her lawn in my area that must weigh well over 350 LB. with the biggest butt I've ever seen out mowing her lawn on a full sized riding mower, I feel bad for the poor mower.:)

That must be me. With this Covid crap, I can't get my haircut, so I am beginning to look like a girl. In a few more weeks, I'm going to put my hair in pig tails!

In another week, Donald Trump will be envious of my hair.

I have cut my own hair for the last 30 years, but when covid 19 started I heard everyone complain they can’t go to the barbershop. So I quit cutting mine as well. The neighbor called me Santa the other day as we talked from our 30-foot distance. Holly didn’t mind at first but the other night she caught me combing my beard with her comb and she said that’s it. I still haven’t cut it but she called me Andy Rooney this morning while looking at my eyebrows.

Bahaha, you guys are cracking me up!
I weigh like 260, so, not quite as much as the other lady.... I got a visual of that. I feel sorry for the mower too. Lol
I built the fenced area where the gate opening is. I could pull up that one post and reset is a few inches away but I dont want to do that. Heck, I probably cant do that currently. I might be able to move the post on the other side and put a chain link post in there. Idk, I am so frustrated with my back, it is hindering everything I want to do. I am about ready to go buy tarps and put them down in order to kill the grass and start over in a month or so. I'd like to say I'm kidding but I am not.
Overwhelmed with work, taking care of my mom on mondays off (sort of) and this back issue. In addition..... I am pretty sure my middle Child took 2 of my moms cats and dropped them off somewhere. I need less stressful people in my life.
I'm hoping that he will Mow today if it doesnt rain. I am off for a few days after today and I may seriously buy tarps..... or maybe I will tarp one area at a time. Idk...
Continue to entertain me, I need it

Get the 30" rider it will haul you around with no trouble unless your lawn is on the side of a mountain. Put it in low gear or 2nd and take your time it will be easy to control with one good arm. Don't try and mow real short set it about 2". Use the tarp to cover it up.

Oh the most important part I almost forgot. Take the key out of it and don't let your kids use it.

He actually mowed today while I was at work.... hopefully he will weed eat.... I call them kids but they are adults.... just difficult ones.
What happens if you lose the key? Is it a one size fits all of the same brand deal? Good advice. I could see forgetting it easily.
Today was a great day at work. I only had 3 patients, instead of 5 or 6, and the could all walk and bathe themselves! And..... I am off the next 4 days.
Came home and the radishes I planted Thursday or Friday or sprouted and about 1/2" tall. And I think I have 1 sprouted carrot.
I might actually like gardening

This is the fence I built.... I was thinking that if I could find a chain link fence gate the right size and figure out how to keep it closed with the remaining fence, I could probably get a 42" mower through there..... hmmmmm or buy a trimmer mower on wheels? Something to ponder for sure 20200526_002324.jpg

If you are concerned about loosing the key , get several keys made , extra . Put them away in a safe place .

God bless
Wyr

Any new mower should come with 2 keys.
There is no "have one made" for a lawn mower key.
Most often a dealer that sells that brand will have one or they can be ordered on line.
I have at least 5 different lawn mower and 3, tractor keys that are all different.
One key I have will start a Walker, Kubota, and Sears mower even though there all made by different company's.

Back