Lead level testing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghNinja

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm purchasing a house that has a lead pipe coming into the house from the water authority. I'd like to test this and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on a best testing kit to use. Thanks in advance!

Where are you and how do you know that the water service main is lead?

If you have a concern I would take a water sample and take it to a testing lab for a complete analyzes. No different than you would buying a house with a well you might want to know what the water is like.

Where are you and how do you know that the water service main is lead?
It's the Pittsburgh area, and it was something noted on the home inspection. I didn't know if one type of testing (available on Amazon / Home Depot) would be more accurate or thorough than another one...

Lead can be safe and will pass tests most of the time but we have seen what happened it Flint. things can happen with out warning and then it is to late. If the city has upgraded and done away with lead, I would just plan on changing it even if it passes the test.

It's the Pittsburgh area, and it was something noted on the home inspection. I didn't know if one type of testing (available on Amazon / Home Depot) would be more accurate or thorough than another one...

Thanks.
What is the exact verbiage of the note on the inspection report?

Back