Leak in ceiling *PLEASE HELP*

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no ducting in the attic. On the one side of the house I added baffles between every joist, and I opened my ridge vent as much as i possibly could when I redid my roof. The back side of the house has vented soffit across the entire thing while the front only has three pieces of vented. The front of the house has no baffles either (not until spring at least). I haven't had any water since I turned my humidifier way down. Over the next couple of days will be the true test since we just got a couple of inches of snow and it is still really cold out. I will have to try and insulate where the siding ends and the ceiling is better in the spring. Do you think this would help?

Well, no water the past couple of days and it has been prime water conditions this entire week. I thank everyone so much that helped me troublshoot and try to solve this issue. I've narrowed it down to condensation from my house being too humid. Ever since I turned mt humidifier way down not only has the water on the ceiling gone away, but all the condensation on my windows and doors have gone away as well. I am going to try and insulate the edge of the house better in the spring and also vent the front side of my house to help even more with air flow. I would have never thought that condensation could have formed on the edge of the ceiling and I thank everyone again for helping me exhaust every other possibility and steering me in the right direction. you have saved me about a thousand dollars in replacing ceiling plaster. If it comes back for some reason I'll let you know. THANKS!!!!

Glad you stopped the rain. Keep reading up on condensation issues so you will be ready for the repairs, and maybe learn something we did not think about. Homes change and we need to be adjusted to new ways of thinking.
Get ready to help the next set of folks with the same issues.:D

WooHoo!

I too notice a big difference in condensation on my windows (which are 22 years old and have lost the argon gas) when the relative humidity is above 40% or so. Right now, due to the very cold weather we've been having, the house is at about 30%, and the windows stay mostly clear. However, get much below that, and static and dry skin may become a problem. If you don't have one, a device that measures relative humidity is a cool thing to have in the house...and they're cheap.

Just when we thought the problem is solved, you come along with this. :p

Since there hasn't been any water since he turned down the humidifier, I'm guessing that's what was causing it. But still you're right, nobody mentioned the gutter flashing. I've always wondered how to address that issue.. I mean, besides gobs of silicone caulk.

The gutters are going to be redone in the spring, I just put the stanard dripedge on and in some places the facia isn't even behind the drip edge. I am going to try and fix this issue kinda like you have, but I don't think I will be able to get the 3x3 angle in there onstead of the drip edge. i wish i would have done that though. Any other good ideas for people like me who have the standard dripedge with ice barrier adhered to it over the roofing nails that were put in it to hold it down. I was thinking of sneeking some vinal or alum strip in behind it before I put the facial back on it.

By the way, the gobs of cone was just to get me through this winter......its to cold out there to be doing anything else!

The gutters are going to be redone in the spring, I just put the stanard dripedge on and in some places the facia isn't even behind the drip edge. I am going to try and fix this issue kinda like you have, but I don't think I will be able to get the 3x3 angle in there onstead of the drip edge. i wish i would have done that though. Any other good ideas for people like me who have the standard dripedge with ice barrier adhered to it over the roofing nails that were put in it to hold it down. I was thinking of sneeking some vinal or alum strip in behind it before I put the facial back on it.

By the way, the gobs of cone was just to get me through this winter......its to cold out there to be doing anything else!

I didn't catch your mention of gobs of cone, but was actually refering to a temporary fix I did some time back. Of course, I made sure they were aware that they needed to have it redon as soon as weather permits. I happened to be driving by that following spring and saw they had brand new roofing and gutters.

Hi there. I think I may have a similar problem. My downspout (at the bottom) was completely frozen..water that was coming out at the bottom was solid like ice...is this an early sign of ice damming? as I ran my eye up to the top of the downspout, where the two corners of the roof meet,,,it seemed liked there was melting there....although I am not sure if it was because of the sun or because of ice damming...I do not have a vapour barrier in that section of the roof and little insulation there too...thoughts anyone?

was your whole attic insulated? what about near the bottom of the roof (just above the eaves?)

i have similar problem but all around the house on the exterior. everything has been done. new roof, soffits, facia, gutters, vents. humidity lucky if i can get it to 50percent and that is boiling water from time to time. from the home improvements i have done in the past, i have found no insulation in the walls. could this be the problem i am having?
condensation?

Latest posts

Back