Leaking pipe? Condensation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anotherjimmylee

Reaction score
Noticed a wall in the kitchen was peeling and cracking. Thought it was the roof leaking but after the roof was replaced the damage was still continuing to get worse. Started to remove damage from the wall and noticed a pipe plastered inside the wall. I am hoping this was just condensation from the pipe that caused the damage. The pipe appears to be cast iron and I was told that it's unlikely that is leaking, but maybe at the elbow. I turned in the heat and check the pipe for leaks with no leaks found. There is green residue in the pipe though. The heat in that particular ,room is poor as well.

The pipe was basically covered inside the plaster inside the wall. Is this common in older homes?1528753000161.jpeg

The pipe appears to be green like old copper. Condensation happens when warm moist air from the house gets in contact with a cold like cold water pipes. If this is a heat pipe seal in the wall I would doubt it is a condensation issue.

The green would indicate copper as Neal mentioned. Try taking a magnet to it, if it sticks it is iron, if not, it is likely copper. Embedding it in plaster can cause the pipe to corrode/oxidize.

After checking the pipe with a magnet it appears to be copper. This pipe is heat for upstairs bedroom.

Back