Leaking sink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevbo

Reaction score
I have a bathroom sink that is leaking from the spots circled in the picture. Any idea what could be causing this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

There a couple of "practical" sources for leaks in this area.

When the faucet was installed was there a gasket the shape of the bottom plate of the faucet installed?

Did the person installing the faucet use plumbers putty to fill the space around the three parts that protruded below the sink that the hot/cold and stopper actuator attach too?

Are the black nuts tight and are the water line nuts tight, as well?

If all the above are covered, it may also be that the braided connector has failed, and easily replaced.

Last edited:
Not sure about the installation, b/c we just bought the house last year, but everything is tight from what I can tell. It's an old faucet, so I have to assume it worked for years fine - meaning it was installed properly. Next step is taking the faucet out, but was hoping to not have to do that.

There may be a solution besides removal;"If all the above are covered, it may also be that the braided connector has failed, and easily replaced."

Not sure about the installation, b/c we just bought the house last year, but everything is tight from what I can tell. It's an old faucet, so I have to assume it worked for years fine - meaning it was installed properly. Next step is taking the faucet out, but was hoping to not have to do that.

Nothing leaking above the counter?

Minimal, but yes,there is some water leaking on the counter.

There is probably a faucet overhaul kit available which will cure that as well.

It is a glacier bay 2 handle faucet. Very similar to this - just older

f2a58443-3a33-46b4-8c8b-9be6b3680d4d_1000.jpg

Pry out the center of the knob undo the screw and remove knob, then you will see if it is plastic parts or even older. Both are rebuildible but it might be time to just change it out to a nice single lever.

Glacier Bay is the lowest of the low in quality.
If it's leaking, it's not even worth the time trying to fix, replace it with a Moen.
Shut off the water supply and remove the flex line and the adapter, clean off the old tape and use Teflon pipe dope instead.
If the flex line was over tightened it's trash, look to see if the flat washer is crushed.

Back