Learning from mistakes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golickrachael

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Rachael. I am redoing my 1960s oak Kitchen cabinets. Ran into some issues. Any advice is appreciated. Help!! I am painting Kitchen cabinets with a moss green Waverly chalk paint. I sanded everything, applied 2 coats of bullseye 123 primer and noticed tanning so I did 2 coats of shellac. I did 3 coats of the chalk paint looked beautiful...I sealed everything with Waverly wax and the next morning there was hairline cracks everywhere. I was told by the company that I should have used polyacrylic. After 3 weeks of hard work they said I would have to use mineral spirits to strip it all, then tsp substitute degreaser..then do it all over again. I have spent many hours researching what I can do. I did use the tsp substitute degreaser to remove the wax...as it removes wax and not paint...I need advice. Can I just do this and sand after tsp substitute, paint then apply the polyacrylic? Also what grit paper should I use? TIA

I’m not an expert, and over the year I have learned the hard way not to do a large project without testing the process on one small area first to avoid strange interactions that can happen.

I once tore all the tin off a good size garden tractor cleaned and sanded all the panels then primed them and then sprayed them with epoxy. Eight hours later everything was dry and I put it all back together and the old bolts showed and looked awful. So I hit all the bolt heads with epoxy and called it a day. The next morning there was a 4” circle of bubbled paint around every screw head and the heads looked beautiful.

Reading the directions it said apply a second coat within 30 minutes or after 48 hours to prevent a reaction.

In your case I would try a sample with the wax removed sanding first and then re-prime and paint and avoid the product that caused the reaction. Do one panel and do all the steps.

Back