Leaving somethign partially sided for a while

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I need to side my garage. I'll be using simple vinyl siding, and going horizontal. I was thinking of doing as much as I can reach without a scafolding and then rent some to finish it. I am wondering if I were to start it, how long can I leave it before damage could happen? If it rains or we get a good wind storm, will it be ok?

Per their website, it can stand up to 12 months with no UV degradation. Wind damage however could shorten that so you'll want to make sure it is securely fastened with something more than a staple while it is exposed. You might want to use some strapping or furring strips nailed across it to hold it in place while it is exposed.

Per their website, it can stand up to 12 months with no UV degradation. Wind damage however could shorten that so you'll want to make sure it is securely fastened with something more than a staple while it is exposed. You might want to use some strapping or furring strips nailed across it to hold it in place while it is exposed.

That is not related. The question is siding. For example, can I do half the wall and leave the other half?

That is not related. The question is siding. For example, can I do half the wall and leave the other half?
You can, but you risk sun fade/ discoloration if you leave it like that long enough. Water can cause rust on the nails if you leave them exposed to moisture. I'd advise finishing what you start, it's always tougher to go back and finish a old project, at least it is at my address.

You can, but you risk sun fade/ discoloration if you leave it like that long enough. Water can cause rust on the nails if you leave them exposed to moisture. I'd advise finishing what you start, it's always tougher to go back and finish a old project, at least it is at my address.

It is only for a few weeks, so rust and sun fade won't be that bad. But good to know that could be an issue.

It is only for a few weeks, so rust and sun fade won't be that bad. But good to know that could be an issue.

I doubt you, or anyone, can see any sun fade difference from only a few weeks. Rust should also not be an issue, ever, because you should be using aluminum nails for siding.

It really is very related to your question. If the Typar isn't covered the wind can damage it. UV shouldn't be a problem.

Back