Leveling Deck lifted by Frost

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoofOver

Reaction score
Going to have to deal with this this yr. Deck is 10X10' & Attached to house on one side. Support on the outside is from two 6X6s" which have been pushed up by frost over the yrs & never seem to go back down much. I was thinking of cutting top ft or 2 off post & installing a screw type bracket to allow gradual lowering of the deck until it is level. Not sure how far these posts go down, didn't build this house. They don't just sit on the ground.

Screw bracket would allow leveling annually depending on heave & thaw conditions. I have been reconsidering tho .... I figured if the post(s) lean to either side over time, then the screw will be at an angle & there will be additional issues with support!

So should I try this or dig up the post & install something better, different, and deeper?

IMAG4189.jpg

IMAG4183.jpg

No location in your profile.
If you want to fix this once and for all they should have been sitting on Sono Tubes sitting below the frost line attached with post bases.
To stop the seasonal movement and the bottom of the post rotting out.

It looks like a well built deck with lots of beam. I would gig in new footing like Joe said and reset posts on the new concrete.

Back