Leveling floor with existing drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stupidly framed out my basement and put up drywall, which looks great. I then realized that I should level the floor - it drops 3-4" over 12' and it isn't flat, either. I want to use concrete to level the floor so that I have more flooring options. My drywall ends ~1" off of the floor so that it doesn't wick water and I have a membrane under the the sill piece. Leveling the floor would place the level of the concrete high enough to overlap and contact the bottom 2-3" of drywall.

If I have 2-3" of concrete against the drywall, I will need a moisture barrier. What can I place on the bottom of the wall to stop moisture from wicking into the drywall? Or do I rip off the bottom of the wall? Or do I tear down my new wall and level the floor underneath it? :(

The basement has an interior French drain and there is a floor drain in an adjacent room. Plastic over the floor shows moisture due to a high water table, but there has never been water in the sump for the French drain.

I've never dealt with this situation, but I think you can find the highest point of where the floor will be and snap a chalk line or use a laser level to mark where it would be overlapping/touching the drywall and cut off just that lower part so it won't touch the floor. Or, maybe you can paint a rubberized moisture barrier type stuff on the bottom and edge of the wall where the floor will be touching? I'm just spitballing here. Someone with more experience can hopefully give better advice.

If you have any floor specific questions, there is a sister forum to this one called flooringforum.com.

Cut the drywall 1 1/2 inch above the new concrete level put 2x4 block half way up behind the drywall and replace drywall with 1/2 plywood and staple sill gasket up the concrete level line or replace drywall with 1/2" concrete board.. Wood never wants to come into contact with concrete

Another reason to frame with steel studs.

Back