Life Hacks...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To avoid frayed ends burn a braided nylon or polyester in two instead of cutting.

View attachment 30211
With any poly or nylon rope lay it across a piece of scrap wood where you want it cut. I use a piece of metal J chanel about 12" long. At one end I heat the long side of the J with a propane torch, just the last few inches. Get it real hot then use it to melt the rope through. It seals the ends but doesn't make that big glob on the end like a lighter does. It's like a hot knife at the hardware store. Any thin piece of metal should work.

With any poly or nylon rope lay it across a piece of scrap wood where you want it cut. I use a piece of metal J chanel about 12" long. At one end I heat the long side of the J with a propane torch, just the last few inches. Get it real hot then use it to melt the rope through. It seals the ends but doesn't make that big glob on the end like a lighter does. It's like a hot knife at the hardware store. Any thin piece of metal should work.
That makes more sense to me. I have repurposed rope salvaged from retired flags by taping the ends before cutting with a sharp knife then carefully dressing the ends using a candle flame. Large flags nowadays use sewn-in rope headers with metal eyes in lieu of heavy fabric with grommets. I haven't cut any of my long braided poly rope yet. I really don't plan to cut unless it's to make a dog leash or longe. I'll prolly whip the ends as well as heat dressing.

With regard to ropes I like this knot for the in-line slip knot in a trucker's hitch.

1679847362736.png

I've noticed that those using a lighter to fuse the end of a poly or nylon cord haven't learned where the hottest part of the flame is. They cram the cord into the yellow part of the flame and let it lap around the cord end. That guarantees a blob and blackens it as well. I guess my chemistry set taught me better when I was just a lad.

Adjustable bed remote quit last night. It uses three AAA batteries. One checked dead the other two in the yellow. I save them for use in clocks or in a remote not so demanding. I never pair them with a new battery.

Air fryer works well to re-crisp crackers and chips. Just heat them for a minute or until hot at 300°F and leave them in the fryer until cool. I had forgotten to close and clip some triscuits and it did the trick.

My son told me of a yellow jacket situation inside the wall cavity of a rustic camp cottage that was resolved with a spray can of expanding foam insulation.

My son told me of a yellow jacket situation inside the wall cavity of a rustic camp cottage that was resolved with a spray can of expanding foam insulation.
Not so rustic after that!

A great cleaning life hack I have used many times:

If you have mould growing on grout (such as in your shower) then soak toilet tissue in bleach and press it onto the effected area. Leave for 24 hours, remove and rinse - works wonders.

Back