Light switch problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpersdad15

Reaction score
Got a wall switch in my kitchen that is making some sort of sizzling/crackling sound when I went to turn it on last Friday so I haven’t used it since it could be a fire starter..any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it???

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Have you removed the switch cover to see if there's a loose wire or some evidence of arching? Did the sound come from the switch or fixture? Did you happen to smell anything from the switch?

I didn’t check for arching and didn’t smell anything for the couple seconds it was on but it’s coming from the switch

Do you know what circuit breaker the light switch is on?
What is your skill level working with residential electricity?
If you do know for sure what circuit breaker the switch is on do you feel confident enough to shut the power off at the breaker and then pull the switch out from the wall and take pictures of the switch and the wiring in the switch box. Do not remove any wires from the switch.
If you can do the above then take a few clear pictures of the front and back of the switch and the wires in the box but only after you are sure the power is off to that switch. Post the pictures here so we have a starting point.

Note: You must shut off the correct circuit breaker first before attempting any of the above.

switch is bad or you have a loose connection. I either case a new switch is in order. Use the screw terminals and not the push in back stab connections.

Latest posts

Back