Lighting tube or ballast?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shackdweller

Reaction score
I've been in my shack 24 years, and don't remember if I ever changed the ballast in the flourescent lighting fixture above the kitchen sinks.

I have in the past, at more locations, changed the ballasts in flourescent lighting fixtures, but simply cannot remember if I ever replaced it in this
residence, in this lighting fixture.

The problem is that very often, when I turn the light switch on, nothing at all happens.

Then, if I put some sideways pressure on the light switch, and then push it up to the "on" position, sometimes more than once, the lighting tube does light up.

I did change the light switch and it is the same with the new light switch, so the problem is either in the lighting tube itself, or in the ballast.

The tube itself is turning gray on a very short distance on both ends.

So, how do I find out if I need a new ballast to solve this problem, and have the light come on very soon after I turn the switch up to the on position, and not have to repeatedly switch the light switch up and down before the light finally comes on.

After the light has been lit up for awhile, and I turn it back on, there is no delay in the tube lighting up.

So, how do I determine if the problem is in the light tube, or the ballast, or both?

Change the tubes, and if it works now, you are good.

If the new tubes fail after less than a year, change the ballast.

Hi, switch to the LEDS now , by the time you buy bulbs and if they don’t work you need a ballast you have almost paid for the LEDs.
Geo

I use regular flourescent tubes in my garage, they work well in summer, but in winter when temperation down to zero and below, it won't work. I understand that there are ballists for cold weather. Since "afjes_2016" mentioned LED, I wonder if I just replace the regular flourescent tubes with LED flourescent tubes, will this "summer" ballists works in cold temperature?

You can buy clear plastic sleeves which slip over the fluorescent tubes.
They help the tubes to warm up faster, and to stay warm, which makes them work better in low temps.

can I buy an electronic ballist to directly replace the regular ballist ? Are their wiring is the same?

Not to pick too many nits, but
Fluorescent means the phosphors on the inside of the tube glow from the plasma in the tube. An LED works on a whole different principle but it does work on constant current, like a fluorescent tube. It uses an LED driver.

Incandescent, also way different.
Neon, different.
Carbon arc lamp probably uses plasma at 10,000F.

Troubleshooting fluorescents is awful unless the tube ends are black.

Last edited:
Yes, direct replacement.
Same wiring, but it can be confusing if you are not experienced with it, lots of long wiring going all over the place.
You can find how to videos on Youtube.
You also need to get the correct ballast for the length of tubes, the wattage, and the style of tube.

Thank you for all the tips, very helpful. So I won't consider LED as advised. I will look for a suitable electronic ballist to replace my existing regular one. Thank you again.

Not so fast.
Buying new ballasts and installing them, and maybe also needing the plastic tubes over the fluorescent tubes to keep warm.
Also, LED lamps and fixtures are more efficient, less watts.
You need to ponder this for a while, I think.

Yes, fully agreed. Have to plan for the best before action.

Eliminate the ballast and install direct wired LED tubes; reducing your wattage per tube from 40 or 32 (depending on age of Flor. tube) to 18 watts per tube. Also you could replace the whole fixture with a suspended 5000 lumen LED for about $20 and really light things up. I hung one over my garage workbench and love it.

I use regular flourescent tubes in my garage, they work well in summer, but in winter when temperation down to zero and below, it won't work. I understand that there are ballists for cold weather. Since "afjes_2016" mentioned LED, I wonder if I just replace the regular flourescent tubes with LED flourescent tubes, will this "summer" ballists works in cold temperature?

CYUE - I don't understand why you just don't go with the LEDs and eliminate the ballasts altogether. Using LEDs will require you to rewire each fixture thus eliminating the ballasts. It is actually easy to rewire the fixtures. Again, ballasts are very expensive (well most are) and many people find it cheaper to convert over to LEDs since they do not require ballasts and the LED tubes can be used in the same fixtures (straight tube 2', 4', 8' etc).

The only argument I have against LEDs is that they are overdriven so you don't get the touted 50,000 hr lab life.
More complex things should generally fail sooner, but an electronic ballast & an LED driver may be equal on this point.

You may soon not be practically able to get lamp types other than LEDs, regardless of the merits of other types of lighting. IDK if this is really "progress."

afjes_2016 : In fact, I love LED. Do you have some sites/links that can show me how to wiring a LED tubes?

Do all replacement LED tubes contain the LED drivers?

Back