Quantcast

Locking mechanism on patio door... Need part...

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Junto

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Fortunately, we have a buyer for our house, but unfortunately, the home inspector flagged a problem with the lower locking mechanism on our patio French doors. Specifically, it's the door without the knob and deadbolt. (See pics.) The pinning-mechanism was damaged years ago and is now missing. The top locking mechanism functions fine. I wish I could tell you who manufactured this door, but it's about 20 yrs old and there are no markings.

Do you have any idea where I can find a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Rick

Attachments

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Not a patio door but I have double entry doors and used this hardware top and bottom for the fixed door. You should be able to find something at Lowes or Home Depot or they could order a part for you. Does it have one also at the top that you could take with you to the store?

Attachments

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look in the top left or right glass. Between the glass, you should find year of manufacture and possibly the company who made it. It looks like a Milgard type patio door, which I had a similar issue with recently.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That metal track should slide down, allowing access to the pin that holds it in. It is either a threaded metal rod, or a a flat metal piece, depending on the style. Can you take a pic of where that down pin locks into the door for me?

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Look in the top left or right glass. Between the glass, you should find year of manufacture and possibly the company who made it. It looks like a Milgard type patio door, which I had a similar issue with recently.
Good point! Before I went to sleep last night I recalled that is how I found the info on my sliding glass door so I could order new rollers. It was lower right corner on an Andersen door.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Try looking at the top of the doors also, there may be a build sticker there.

Junto

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Snoonyb's suggestion to Google "astragal" led me to a flurry of pictures being sent to the kind folks at Betterdoor.com, who pointed me to AllAboutDoors.com. A few dimensional checks and a few Hail Marys resulted in an order for something that stands a good chance of working. I have my fingers crossed.

Another revelation is that an "astragal" is not a female super-hero no matter how Google may suggest otherwise.

Thanks for the help.
Rick

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered nylon bushings for behind the patio door handles from AllAboutDoors.
Parts arrived within a week.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I needed the exact same type of door part as @Junto, and I think I found it. To install, do I need to take the whole door off or is there a trick to make it easier?

Junto

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My issue was resolved. The astragal (I learned a new word) flush bolts from AllAboutDoors.com arrived quickly and worked well. Ironically, the parts had an "i" symbol stamped on it, just as the original did. (I'm sure it could have originated from any of a half-dozen companies in China.) It was not an exact match but dimensionally it fit and was functional. I replaced the top and bottom bolts, and did remove the door to do so. (Flyover... You cannot get the bottom one installed otherwise.) Below are pics of the new bolt uninstalled and installed.
20210225_163332.jpg 20210225_171337.jpg
Many thanks to those who provided input.
Rick

Flyover

Reaction score
Dang, taking doors off and putting them back on is one of my least favorite things. Glad this resolved your issue @Junto! Wish me luck.

Junto

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One suggestion is to be really nice to your wife before you begin the task. One revelation I had was that my wife is actually pretty good at inserting the pins back in the hinges. Good luck with yours (and no, you can't borrow mine).

Flyover

Reaction score
Mine will usually help if she doesn't have her hands full of baby.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Putting some PASCO faucet lube on the pins will prevent squeaking later.

Latest posts