Locking mechanism on patio door... Need part...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, we have a buyer for our house, but unfortunately, the home inspector flagged a problem with the lower locking mechanism on our patio French doors. Specifically, it's the door without the knob and deadbolt. (See pics.) The pinning-mechanism was damaged years ago and is now missing. The top locking mechanism functions fine. I wish I could tell you who manufactured this door, but it's about 20 yrs old and there are no markings.

Do you have any idea where I can find a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Rick

Attachments

• 20210220_162036.jpg
    20210220_162036.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210221_222439.jpg
    20210221_222439.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 20
Not a patio door but I have double entry doors and used this hardware top and bottom for the fixed door. You should be able to find something at Lowes or Home Depot or they could order a part for you. Does it have one also at the top that you could take with you to the store?

Attachments

• 0221212322.jpg
    0221212322.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 9
Look in the top left or right glass. Between the glass, you should find year of manufacture and possibly the company who made it. It looks like a Milgard type patio door, which I had a similar issue with recently.

That metal track should slide down, allowing access to the pin that holds it in. It is either a threaded metal rod, or a a flat metal piece, depending on the style. Can you take a pic of where that down pin locks into the door for me?

Look in the top left or right glass. Between the glass, you should find year of manufacture and possibly the company who made it. It looks like a Milgard type patio door, which I had a similar issue with recently.
Good point! Before I went to sleep last night I recalled that is how I found the info on my sliding glass door so I could order new rollers. It was lower right corner on an Andersen door.

Snoonyb's suggestion to Google "astragal" led me to a flurry of pictures being sent to the kind folks at Betterdoor.com, who pointed me to AllAboutDoors.com. A few dimensional checks and a few Hail Marys resulted in an order for something that stands a good chance of working. I have my fingers crossed.

Another revelation is that an "astragal" is not a female super-hero no matter how Google may suggest otherwise.

Thanks for the help.
Rick

I just ordered nylon bushings for behind the patio door handles from AllAboutDoors.
Parts arrived within a week.

My issue was resolved. The astragal (I learned a new word) flush bolts from AllAboutDoors.com arrived quickly and worked well. Ironically, the parts had an "i" symbol stamped on it, just as the original did. (I'm sure it could have originated from any of a half-dozen companies in China.) It was not an exact match but dimensionally it fit and was functional. I replaced the top and bottom bolts, and did remove the door to do so. (Flyover... You cannot get the bottom one installed otherwise.) Below are pics of the new bolt uninstalled and installed.
20210225_163332.jpg 20210225_171337.jpg
Many thanks to those who provided input.
Rick

Dang, taking doors off and putting them back on is one of my least favorite things. Glad this resolved your issue @Junto! Wish me luck.

One suggestion is to be really nice to your wife before you begin the task. One revelation I had was that my wife is actually pretty good at inserting the pins back in the hinges. Good luck with yours (and no, you can't borrow mine).

Mine will usually help if she doesn't have her hands full of baby.

Putting some PASCO faucet lube on the pins will prevent squeaking later.

I finally got around to this. Ordered the astragal flush bolt a week or so ago, should be arriving any day now.

Junto, I'm glad you got it worked out. When I first started reading I was thinking Havasu would know since he had to replace part on something like this before.

Flyover, if you don't want to unscrew the hinges from either the door or the frame, the easiest way to pull a door off is to pop the hinge pins out. When you want to put the door back on, you can stick shims under to prop it up a little. Hope it goes well for you.

Yeah, my plan is to stick a thin strip of wood under the door as a fulcrum, pull down on the handle or top of the door to relieve pressure on the hinges, then pull the pins with my free hand. If that doesn't work then I'll ask a grown-up for help.

UPDATE: Turns out the part got here over the weekend; my wife took it out of the mailbox and put it in the mail drawer but didn't tell me. Maybe I'll install it today.

Last edited:
Back