Looking for a temporary cheap fix

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel600x

Reaction score
So, my neighbours an elderly couple have this problem with a corner of their roof possibly missing a gutter or something because when it rains, the rain pours down the side of the pillar and during the winter all of this freezes and hugh chunks of ice hang down the roof as well as creating an ice skating spot in front of their home. I had a roofing company look at it but they said that they would need a new roof as theirs is already sloped and now the rain is being redirected away from the gutters. I was thinking about maybe temporarily installing some kind of corner gutter with downspout to at least try to re-direct the rain water away from the house. Any help would be very appreciated. Any thought on diverters??

20220830_114334.jpg20220830_114350.jpg20220830_114407.jpg

Leader or collector heads for downspouts can be a bit pricey (especially if architectural). I priced some out when I did a rain chain. You might try installing a gutter downspout adapter in the bottom of a bucket to collect the water and maybe use a piece if flashing under the shingles to divert the water into the bucket.

1662130985083.png

On the left side it looks like the gutter is pushing the shingles up, not a good thing. On the right side there isn't a gutter. Is that a correct view of the photos?

For the right side, I'd tear off the piece of siding and replace the rotted wood, I'd using something like Azek cellular PVC trim or solid vinyl trim. The roof is not level at that point, so you to add a gutter you'd need to drop it down below the existing gutter with its own downspout. On the left side, I'd drop the existing gutter for that section of roof off of the other gutter and do the same thing.

It looks like the problem is due to a bum job of adding the entryway cover. It may have to await a reroofing for a permanent fix. There is probably some serious water damage in those columns.

It looks like the problem is due to a bum job of adding the entryway cover. It may have to await a reroofing for a permanent fix. There is probably some serious water damage in those columns.
Yeah, that roof line is a hot mess.

Leader or collector heads for downspouts can be a bit pricey (especially if architectural). I priced some out when I did a rain chain. You might try installing a gutter downspout adapter in the bottom of a bucket to collect the water and maybe use a piece if flashing under the shingles to divert the water into the bucket.

View attachment 28324
Thank you Eddie. This may be just the thing to try on both sides. The right side this diverter idea is great and simple for me to manage. The left side, the gutter is pushing the shingles due to the roof dropping down and eventually must be replaced. But in the meantime lowering the gutter and installing a downspout in this corner maybe the only thing I can manage by myself. Thank you

On the left side it looks like the gutter is pushing the shingles up, not a good thing. On the right side there isn't a gutter. Is that a correct view of the photos?

For the right side, I'd tear off the piece of siding and replace the rotted wood, I'd using something like Azek cellular PVC trim or solid vinyl trim. The roof is not level at that point, so you to add a gutter you'd need to drop it down below the existing gutter with its own downspout. On the left side, I'd drop the existing gutter for that section of roof off of the other gutter and do the same thing.
Yeah, the front part of the roof dropped lower than the rest of the main roof that is why is pushing the shingles up. I'll try to do what you suggested on the left side. On the right side taking the shingles off to replace the ruttene plywood little scary especially if one has to climb up on this part of the roof. Not trusting its safety much. Will see. :oops: Thanks for the honest advise

On the rightr side, get rid of that aluminum/vinyl patcch on the corner. Repair missing wood with PVC/Azek then slip some aluminum eave drip edge on both the rake and eave. Then add a section of gutter with a corner return and downspout. You might also need to replace a shingle on that corner too.

Without being there I can't recommend this but I might try jacking the drooping side back into position using a substantial piece of wood to avoid jack punch through. Support could be via sistered 2x timber or shimming the present column if solid enough.

Thank you guys for the tips on how to go about fixing this temporarily. Messy job but works during rain so far. On the left side I decided to drop the gutter by 1 inch and added a downspout.
20221101_150012.jpg
On the right side I replaced the rotten side wood with treated piece and added a edge drip but to do that I used a aluminum rain diverter so it would cover more of the side wall. Painted and added a corner with a new downspout.
20221122_120820.jpg 20221122_120710.jpg20221122_120744.jpg20221122_120749.jpg

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back