Looking for advice on installing a wall with a railing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Established Member
Reaction score
20190921_132421.jpg Hello Everyone,

Just looking for some advice on how to install a wall/railing alongside my basement stairs. I would like to frame up a wall on the open side of the stair case, and install a railing on that side as well. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want storage access under the stairs then it would take one approach if not then a simple non load bearing wall from floor to joist with a bottom and top plate and stud covered in drywall will work. Anchor the railing mounts thru the drywall and into the studs.

An open wall will connect to the stair stringer and each stud will be cut to fit.

All you need is enough strength to make the wall sturdy for the railing.

Thank you! There is already a little storage area underneath the stairs on the other side, so I will just close it up completely with a wall on the open side of the stairs. Any tips for building a wall that so I can drywall alongside the concrete on the other side?

I would use 2x4 and the bottom piece that contacts the floor I would use PT 2x4. The bottom piece needs to not be able to move around and normally you would anchor it to the floor. In your case you have the stringer for the stairs and a couple screws from the studs into the stringers will do that. I would screw the top plate up and lay the bottom plate on the floor and start at the back and measure and cut each stud to be a tight fit where you have to lightly tap them in place. put then so they are 16” OC from the bottom of the wall going back.

I find building stuff like this is easier using deck screws than nailing.

Cut the drywall to cover it all and screw it up tape/mud any seams and fill the screw holes sand smooth and paint. Then put base trim and trim up against the riser/wall. Then do the railing.

The other side can have drywall on it if you are trying to make a finished basement and depending on if you have any moisture issues. It can have a moisture barrier put up and then furring strips and then drywall or some paneling. Or you can just paint the wall to match.

Should be a fun project.

Sounds good, thanks for the tips! For the top plate, there is nothing to screw it to over top of the stairs. Just wondering if you have any ideas how to secure the top plate? Thanks a lot!

One other thing too is that the stringer is pretty much right up against the concrete (maybe about a 3/4" gap), so the side of the stringer closest to the stairs is only about 2.5" from the concrete wall, so when I frame up this wall, the studs will overlap the stairs slightly. Is that okay?

Back