looking for an alternative to wood doors.

Help Support House Repair Talk:

jnetpa

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am looking for an entry door for my new house. I am pretty much new to this area, but I had the privilege to experience the harsh weather in Edmonton. In fact, it is - 14-degree Celsius, in my weather app as I am writing this post. I was looking for a door installation company that could provide durable doors that will withstand this harsh climate. I am looking for a hardwood door. But I am not sure, will it sustain in this climate. Most of my friends have MDF doors, and none have hardwood doors. I was wondering, if installing a hardwood door is a bad Idea, especially, when my highest priority is durability. I am especially concerned about the rain and snow as these are the main elements that could destroy the door. I do not know if waxing of doors could do the trick. But I have seen people waxing wooden panels to increase the durability of the same. But then, I have not seen such options given by any door company in Edmonton. I could import waxed doors from my place if it works, but the only problem is, I do not know, how good it will do, to ensure durability. If somebody could guide me on this, that would be great. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mabloodhound

Restoration & Renovations
Reaction score
Personally, I would be using a fiberglass/composite or steel door. Wood just doesn't like exposure to the elements.

Sparky617

Reaction score
I'd go with fiberglass. Not prone to denting like a steel door and the faux wood grain makes them easier to paint.

Gary

Reaction score
We went with fiberglass. Pretty hard to tell the difference from fiberglass vs a real solid wood door, unless you're really looking close. We've had people give us a "yea right" look when we tell them it's fiberglass. We bought ours pre-finished, (Golden Oak) & it matched the golden oak out of the can pretty close.foyer window 4.jpg foyer entrance 2sm.jpg

Steve123

Reaction score
If your primary concern is durability, put a storm door in front of it. Its an extra layer of protection --- makes that hole in your wall more air-tight and water-tight.

Latest posts