Looking for non-intrusive power strip for floor outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de103065

Reaction score
I have a floor outlet that was set into the concrete of the slab. It has two outlets within a plastic circular container about 5" in diameter that is level with the floor. I have this outlet under my sofa in the living room and I am trying to find a power strip for this and although there are a lot of different power strips I haven't really found what I'm looking for. Ideally, I don't want to have one that has a long cord that I have to use a floor cover. I'm curious what others might have used that can be placed easily next to the floor outlet without a long cord that is sturdy and doesn't move all around and gives enough clearance with the plug so it doesn't push into the bottom of sofa. I was looking on Amazon and didn't find anything I was hoping I'd find. Curious what others might recommend?

Were I faced with having to go on to my hands and knees to use a receptive, I'd want a cord of sufficient length that any recep. would be accessible, by merely bending over.

However, if you insist, shorten the cord, and change the cord end to fit your needs.

You can find power strips with 3 ft (or 6 ft) cords and right angle plugs. Some even have rotating right angle plugs.

Another thought, if the outlets are only used for lamps and electronics power cubes and short extension cords might be better than a 15 amp power strip.
5001460593_41598597.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the power cube idea! That's kind of what I was looking for.

A disadvantage of the cube is that, when unplugging and replugging things you put wear and tear on the innards of the wall or floor receptacle. You get less wear and tear if you unplug the cube straight out from the receptacle before changing plugs in the cube. A typical power strip (or extension cord) puts even less overall wear and tear on the wall or floor receptacle while you unplug or replug different things.

My suggestion was to use short extension cords from the cube rather than fumbling around under the sofa. A friend actually had me mount a power strip on a side table so he could plug/unplug with one hand.

Back