Quantcast

Looking for thoughts on bench tops

Help Support House Repair Talk:

68bucks

Reaction score
So I came across some old library tables and I am going to use the tops for the tops of the workbenches that I'm building. They are solid maple 1-1/2" thick. I sanded one down to bare wood and cut it to size. I'm pondering what to do about a finish on them. I have been thinking about just using butcher block oil on them rather than a poly type finish. What have some of the members here done for their bench top finish, any suggestions?

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What are you going to do mainly with them, build ships in a bottle or rebuild engines on them?

Brian Famous

Reaction score
Are you talking about a garage workbench that you're throwing tools on, or are you drilling some bench dog holes or throwing on an end vise? I don't have any finish on my workbench, as the first four letters are w-o-r-k. So that's what it is there to do.

68bucks

Reaction score
This will be a work bench. I'll put a vise on it, throw tools on it etc. It won't be for crafts or anything like that, it's a bench in my shop. I'm leaning to keeping it bare so if it gets sort of beat up I can just sand it a bit to clean it up.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I took an old solid core door and had the metal shop fold a galvanized metal cover for it. Takes a licking, keeps on ticking. When it gets beat up enough I'll get a new cover. Spills cleanup easy.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For a wood bench I would rub some linseed oil (Raw) into it and call it a day.

I wish I found something like that it would become my kitchen island and the garage workbench would get a sheet of plywood.

rbm328

Reaction score
when i built my garage/shop work bench, i built it 4'x8' and for the top i used a sheet of 1/2" ply and then laid on top of that, another sheet of hard board.
my thoughts were, when the top gets beat up beyond its life, i unscrew 10 flat screws and replace the top. you can even purchase a full sheet 1/2" A (orB) C ply,
rip in half and you have your workbench.

68bucks

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of maybe something in top of the maple as a sacrificial surface. Or at least on some part of it. All together it will be about 15' long. I have a smaller table that I think I'm going to use for a desktop sort of a thing. Something lower you can set at with a regular chair. That piece is 5' long. The original tables were 3' wide. I thought that was a little too deep for a bench so I ripped it to make a 30" depth and used the drop as a backslash sort of deal. I think it will work out nice.

billshack

Reaction score
I did the same thing
when i built my garage/shop work bench, i built it 4'x8' and for the top i used a sheet of 1/2" ply and then laid on top of that, another sheet of hard board.
my thoughts were, when the top gets beat up beyond its life, i unscrew 10 flat screws and replace the top. you can even purchase a full sheet 1/2" A (orB) C ply,
rip in half and you have your workbench.

Latest posts