Looking to drill holes through tiles

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by tractng, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1

tractng

tractng

tractng

I want to install a handle in the bath tub area. Many attempts of using a suction handles failed.

What tip of drill do I need? I am not sure if this is ceramic or porcelain tile. It has been a few years since I install the tub.

tntrac

2. Nov 25, 2012 #2

mintset

mintset

mintset

i would use a carbide tip drill bit. the same used for drilling through concrete will work. i did this many times and used a piece of masking tape over the spot and made a small chip with a black drywall screw (these are very hard tipped) as a starting point for the bit. depending how large a hole you are making start off with a smaller bit than the finished hole. hth

nealtw likes this.
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #3

tractng

tractng

tractng

Thanks man. The screws come with the handle so its a small size.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #4

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

Some clarification if you haven't already drilled your holes (and for others considering something similar): if the tiles are actually porcelain and not just ceramic, a regular carbide bit suggested by others may not be hard enough to penetrate. Porcelain tiles are harder than conventional ceramic, and usually require a diamond-tipped drill bit. A bit pricier than carbide-tipped, but well worth the extra cost. I've had a few diamond-tipped bits going on more than 30 years, and they still work for drilling holes in glass (I'm a part-time stained glass artist). Carbide tips are too soft for glass and most porcelain.

5. Dec 14, 2012 #5

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

6. Dec 14, 2012 #6

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

7. Dec 23, 2012 #7

ownerbuilder2012

ownerbuilder2012

ownerbuilder2012

Aspiring DIYer

I have tried the carbide tip and it works well. Another you need to remember is to layout the holes correctly so that they would be perfectly leveled.