Loose Posts on Second Floor Railing

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by Weather_Leather, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1

Weather_Leather

Weather_Leather

Weather_Leather

We recently purchased a home and discovered the second floor railing is loose. It is the post at the top of the steps which is loose. There is no support from the wall. It is simply anchored to the floor.

How can we tighten this up? One option I thought about was anchoring short metal braces to the floor and to the sides of the post. The floor is carpeted and would hide much of the brace. However, there has to be a better way to do this.

Help

2. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Square Eye

Square Eye

Square Eye

A picture would certainly help us to see what you have to work with. Angled metal brackets are rarely a secure fix for a stair railing. To answer your question accurately, we really need to know how the post is anchored now.

3. Nov 21, 2008 #3

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have used a long screw for fixing this exact issue. Timberlock or similar lag type. But you need to know what it is already attached to and how. Also be careful of wiring. Usually there is a joist or box beam to catch, but sometimes folks just use a 2x4 block.
    I use the longest I think I need, and putty the new hole from the screw.
    I try to put it as close to the bottom where it meets the floor.