Low voltage outdoor lights problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a short between the second and third light start at number 2. Did the lights that worked seem dim?

Like Bud said, your problem is most likely between the 2nd and 3rd light, still unknown if it's a short, loose connection or failed light fixture. Assume it's a short or loose connection first, and take it from there. I would disconnect the cable that goes from 2nd light to the 3rd light first. If it's good when you turn it on, check connections at 3rd light. If they seem alright, then it's a bad fixture or your cable between the lights is damaged.

To figure out if it's the fixture or the cable, disconnect 3rd light entirely from the run, make a temp splice there and turn it on.

The problem could still be downstream, so it couldn't hurt to check connections at all the lights on that run.

Problem solved. I inspected the main line from beginning to end. I had forgotton that last year I cut the line when digging. There was a section I spliced together using a connector I bought from Lowes. It was under the mulch and hidden by a shrub so it was not obvious. It was also just after the third light that had the flashing issue. The connection was totally melted. See the picture. Not sure why this happened as these connectors are pretty straightforward. Anyway all is well. Thanks all for the advice.

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

I that’s the rub, and the reason I started post #5 off by asking if you had been digging and hit some wires in the first sentence.

The first question in all trouble shooting should be (what has changed?) sometime things just die but more often than not there was a change at some point and that should be clue one.

I like happy endings also.

That's a pretty fancy splice kit for low voltage lights, why not just use wire nuts and tape them up?

Never mind, guess the picture shown is the fixture?

The reason for the heat & melting is because of a poor connection, causing the electricity to arc, creating heat. Make sure your new connections are solid and tight.

Back