Low water pressure - on lake water.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
We get our water from the lake.
Our pump is a Pentair Sta-Rite jet pump.

I was having what I thought was a low water pressure. I was able to adjust the cut in/out pressure. The cold water is now at a good pressure.

The hot water is a different story. Open any tap and it looses pressure. Close tap and it seems to build the pressure back up, but it is never at the same pressure as the cold water. It also takes a long time to get hot temperature water out of the tap.
Any ideas? No valves are closed.

Are there any filters on the system. Change them or remove the filter element as a test.

What is the pressure in and out of the heater, at the appliance, not at some remote faucet?

The hot water is a different story. Open any tap and it looses pressure. Close tap and it seems to build the pressure back up, but it is never at the same pressure as the cold water. It also takes a long time to get hot temperature water out of the tap.
Any ideas? No valves are closed.
What you have is a flow problem not a pressure problem. When you have pressure and then it drops off that is a flow restriction. The fact that it is in all taps narrows it down to the heater or a main trunk line. You will have to do some trouble shooting.

Do you have a shut off valve on the hot water tank?? if so check it.

What you have is a flow problem not a pressure problem. When you have pressure and then it drops off that is a flow restriction. The fact that it is in all taps narrows it down to the heater or a main trunk line. You will have to do some trouble shooting.

I do have a low pressure when the tap is turned on at first, then the flow and pressure drops.

Do you have a shut off valve on the hot water tank?? if so check it.

Yes, and it is open.

you could get a couple sharkbite fittings and some PEX and make a bypass to see if the tank is limiting flow. If you are plumbed with copper I would recommend the sharkbite tank connectors for your new tank if you get one. I changed mine out about 6 months ago and the old tank had the sharkbites and it only took 10 minutes to switch tanks once I got the new one in the basement.

I have had a problem with a ¼ turn PVC sink supply shut off. It sat for years building up sediment then when I needed to replace a a faucet valvet the shut off stem broke. Fortunately it broke in the full on position so I haven't replaced it. I just shut off the main when I do any faucet work so I have four ¼ turn valves that I dare not use.

If you have a ball valve going into the heater on copper pipe it is probably not the valve. Is the valve sweat in place or is it fitted with thread adapters? I have seen the thread adapters bridge over with calcium build up. And as Bud pointed out it might just be time for a new tank.

I moved into a home in the country on a well about 10 years ago. When I started cleaning things up I found about 10 junk water heaters because the water was hard enough it killed water heaters pretty fast I'd say. Your lake water may have the same issue.

I moved into a home in the country on a well about 10 years ago. When I started cleaning things up I found about 10 junk water heaters because the water was hard enough it killed water heaters pretty fast I'd say.
LOL when I retired I figured all old hot water tanks can stay in the basement and the next younger owner of the house can get them out. So far my collection is only one in the corner.

Basements in 150 year old homes are not good for much more than a place for the furnace and water heater and access to things. I have room for 20 tanks and I hope I don’t live that long.

Back