Low water pressure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbowrust

Reaction score
So we've just moved into our first home and are finding issues which hopefully are correctable.
Our water pressure is low, below 40 psi for sure. Would the water softener reduce line pressure? Can I fit a booster pump to boost line pressure to 50-60psi? Will copper pipes withstand higher pressure or am I asking for trouble?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Where in the system did you attach the gauge, too determine that your water pressure was low?

Softeners have a by-pass.

Copper will withstand, and has been used for decades in residential water systems.

I don't have a gauge in the system anywhere. I know what 50psi should feel like and our pressure is not that. I can stop the water with my finger at the faucet.

City or well water?
What type plumbing is it, Pex, CPVC, steel, copper?
What size is the incoming and main line runs?
Tried removing the aerator on the faucet to see if it's plugged up?
Is this an issue at all the faucets?
Need to attach a gauge to an outside faucet to find out if it's a pressure issue, or a flow issue.

City water. (Small farm town) Whole house is copper except where the softener lines were routed in pex. 1/2" copper. Faucets don't have aerators on them. All faucets have bad pressure but worse upstairs.
I'll pick up a gauge tomorrow and let you know.

City water. (Small farm town) Whole house is copper except where the softener lines were routed in pex. 1/2" copper. Faucets don't have aerators on them. All faucets have bad pressure but worse upstairs.
I'll pick up a gauge tomorrow and let you know.

what is the line from the meter to the house?

copper or galvanized or PVC ?

Another thing to try is to run your angle stops, stop too stop with the faucet open so that any debris will flush out.

When you are done, remember to not leave the stop in the max. open position, but to turn it back 1/4 turn. This give you the ability to turn it both ways, in the event it freezes from calcium build up.

if you determine you have low pressure from the supplier and they can't raise it, you can put a shallow well pump in line to boost your pressure. I used one for years until the water system was able to raise my pressure by raising the regulator they had in another area.

Back