Lowering height of shed roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juryduty

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the Portland area and recently built a shed in my side yard. Because of some rules I encountered I need to lower the height of the roof about 12".

It has a hip roof, like the photo attached. There are 2x6 wall ties going straight across the top of the walls as well.

Is it possible, generally, to add additional bracing to the jack and hip rafters (to the 2x6 wall ties), and simply cut off the top of the structure, replacing it with a lower/flatter peak? Or will I almost definitely be stuck removing the roof entirely and rebuilding it?

Hip-Roof-399.jpg

From the inside just do a flat ceiling with same structure as the roof with 2x4s with seat cuts to go under the rafters and hips. Add plywood gussets to make the join strong.
Cut the top off so you have a flat roof frame 16" lower, then just cut tappers out of 2x4 to set on top of the flat rafter to make a new peak.

I just shake my head that someone is making you go through all that trouble for a stupid 12". This is why I would never live in an area that had CC&R's.

It may not be a cc&r. It may be town ordinance.

Back