LP Smartside Issue (What is wrong?)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockncountry101

Reaction score
This install is less than three years old and this is what it looks like when light hits it the right way. One of the pictures is the backside when light doesn't hit it head on. What is wrong? What can be done? You can look and tell where the joints are at every four feet. Bad install? Failing siding. It's the LP Smartside 4x8 foot sheets. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0223.JPG

It looks like edge swelling and likely the edges were not pre-primed before installing. I don’t know if that is recommended on the sheet stuff or not, but the strip products when you have a cut end it should be sealed.

Do a google search on “LP smartside problems” or “LP Smartside swelling” and you will find lots to read.

I can see how you don’t like the look when the light is right. I have seen people do the board and batten look to hide the seams putting a batten every 24” or 16”. Other than that I’m not sure what can be done without taking it off and starting over.

Others might come along with some ideas.

PS: Don't stay away so long between visits.

It looks like edge swelling and likely the edges were not pre-primed before installing. I don’t know if that is recommended on the sheet stuff or not, but the strip products when you have a cut end it should be sealed.

Do a google search on “LP smartside problems” or “LP Smartside swelling” and you will find lots to read.

I can see how you don’t like the look when the light is right. I have seen people do the board and batten look to hide the seams putting a batten every 24” or 16”. Other than that I’m not sure what can be done without taking it off and starting over.

Others might come along with some ideas.

PS: Don't stay away so long between visits.

Perhaps then I should file a claim with LP. I keep hearing about their 50/5 year warranty.

What was it attached to under the siding?
Did they use ring shanked nails?

Back