Lubricating a tape measure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
This winter, I have been doing a reno inside, and have kept my saw outside to do the cutting. I has kept the dust in the basement down, but I created a problem.

One of my tape measures, I would leave at my work station outside. It is under my covered outdoor kitchen, but snow did still blow in. The tape measure does not move very well these days. I wa wondering if spraying some lubricant would make it move better?

I don't know but for some things such as Little Giant ladders I have read that wiping with Lemon Pledge furniture polish works.

I use a product called SLIP-IT, it's for saw blades.

There is no tape measure that needs lubing.
If you do it's just going to leave stains, and attract dirt.
Buy a new one and keep it inside.

Agreed, don't saturate it with anything just wipe it with a cloth dampened with WD40, silicone spray, Pledge or whatever. When it's finished the tape should feel dry not oily.

1) dismantle the tape measure, 2) wash in Dawn detergent 3) rinse, followed by clay bar treatment, 4) a light coat of carnuba wax, 5) buff, 6) reassemble.

just kidding. what I really do is to put A1 sauce on the stretched out tape and let the dog lick it clean

Back