Main Water Line Pipe Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyBatman

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Fort Worth, TX and my city uses the 2015 International Plumbing Code. My house's main water line used PB (polybutylene) pipe which has degraded and sprung a leak. The pipe runs under my driveway and after digging a small hole in my driveway and locating the leak I decided it was best to just run a new line from the water meter at the curb up to the house. I wanted to use PEX-A pipe for this line but I couldn't find anything in the code that specifies if this can be used. I was wondering if anyone had experience in this area, and if anyone knew if I can use direct burial of PEX-A for a main service line for potable water? Basically that is my only question, and if I can use PEX-A it would simplify my life. I was even thinking of using a larger diameter pvc that I would bore under the driveway, and then just run the PEX-A pipe through the PVC pipe. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions?

Not sure on that may want to contact
Inspectional service's in your town I would sleeve the whole run if possible
And if code allows

for me it really depends how deep you must install this water service entrance. if it is really deep like in canada 6 or more feet i would use the best pipe possible. you see the real work is digging down 6 ft.
here is the code for tx
https://up.codes/viewer/texas/ipc-2015/chapter/6/water-supply-and-distribution#603it does not say what is required as to material. the size is 3/4 or more.
I would install at least a 1 inch so that i could install fire sprinklers in the future.
Also i would give the local municipality a call and find out what material is recommended . and ask if permit is required.

I would be checking with the local authorities and/or the water company. Ditto on the best possible pipe, you won't want to revisit this.
My first instinct was that the PVC sleeve sounded good. But if it ever leaks again, you will have a bear of a time trying to locate the leak

Back