Manufactured Home Wooden Window Frames

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimsathome

Reaction score
Hello all. I just purchased a single wide manufactured home, here in Massachusetts. It is 25 years old and has been well cared for by the previous owner. My question is related to wooden window frames. They are hard to open and close (not that I'm doing it much in the winter). They stick and the wood feels very dry. I don't think these frames have any finish on them, paint or varnish or anything else. They are single hung windows. I just got a quote from Home Depot for about $10K to replace all the windows in the house. Well, that's not going to happen in my lifetime.

So mostly I'm looking for general advice on how to make these windows last. They are double pane and aside from being difficult to open and close because of what feels like dry wood, they work and they are what I have. Is there anything else I should consider doing to help them stay healthy?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Mims Athome

Can you post a picture inside and out so we can see what your seeing?
The wood being dry is a good thing and not the cause of them sticking.
Look on the sides where the edges of the windows are. Did someone paint that area at one time? It never should have been painted.
Can the sashes be moved from side to side a small amount? If there to tight there going to be hard to open and close. Sides of the windows may need to be reshimmed.

Latest posts

Back