marking drywall for elec boxes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleDIY

Reaction score
I;ve done a lot of patching in my life. But when installing new,I always have a problem locating the openings for the electirc boxes correctly.

Any tips on how to get it right???

I measure from the floor and wall edges and mark the values on the face of the drywall sheet--I have no short cuts around that. You could use an extra box to use as a template to trace the hole needed instead of measuring out a rectangle. When I cut, I cut inside my outlines so I avoid making the hole too big and thus having to buy midline or jumbo-sized switch plates, lol. Just use your drywall knife to shave away a little extra if needed.

Buy a Rotozip. It is basically a small type router, and you can cut just about anything, even tile. It follows the box around on the inside after you put up the sheet.Just be careful of the wires, make sure they are pushed in the box all the way, then set your cutter at the thickness of the sheet.:D
Or you do the manual way and need to measure really good and mud any extra space.:eek:

I've heard of "kissing" the back side of the sheetrock by applying lipstick, to the front edge of the outlet box. Then press the sheetrock in place. This will transfer a mark onto the back of the sheetrock that you can use to cut out the rough opening. Then hang the sheet and if necessary clean up your opening around the outlet box.

Haven't tried this myself, but seems to make sense.

Inspector, Don't the roughed in boxes have to be set so they will be flush with the finished surface of the wall? if that's the case won't they hold the sheet out from the wall when you try to hang it?

But you install the first screws away from the box, the sheet will flex enough or hang until you cut your outlets out. You still need to get a rough measurement of where they are, and if you miss a little it is easy to mud up because it is a skinny line missing, not a whole piece.
This is the way every professional sheetrocker does it.:)
Kissing the rock also works.

Back