Master bathroom remodel, pictures inside!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyBatman

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently remodeling a master bathroom and the bathroom that is on the opposite side of the master bathroom shower. Old vanity, old toilet, old mirror, old electrical, everything was old, I have gutted down to the studs and was looking for suggestions. This is a rental property, so I will be putting in the minimum quality on vanities, toilets, etc. The only thing I need suggestions on are what size vanity. Should I invest in moving plumbing around? Lots of the walls are load bearing with headers as you will see in the pictures. I also was going to post a layout of the bathroom to help you visualize. Oh, and I am also trying to make the little room where the tub and shower was a walk in shower. No lip, it is a large room with walls, and I was going to tile floor to ceiling with a new exhaust fan and light. So let me know what you think, so recap as far as what I have planned, lol, I am thinking of things as I go sorry.

I was thinking,
A) Wood tile throughout, closets, vanity, toilet, shower area. Change of tile in shower area where you walk in, different tile on walls, not sure what kind. Bench framed out as well.

B) Vanity, double or single? This is a rental, I don't really want to invest in doubling the plumbing for a double vanity, and how large? The one in there before was custom I believe at like 56".

C) What kind of hardware storage for the closets? I had to remove the old random shoe holders and clothes lines that were in there, what should I do to accommodate this?

D) There is a second very small closet in the same hallway, I really just want to remove the doors and leave it open, maybe put a mirror there, not sure.

Here are the pictures, really looking forward to some ideas, thanks for your time!

IMAG0521.jpg

Shower_Wall.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0520.jpg

Well, first I would think that the plan should have happened before demolition.
You said it will be a rental property, so you will still own it, and you will still have to provide maintenance so don't get so cheap that you will burn yourself in the long run. Anything structural (of course) or anything inside the walls where your tenants can't go should be as good as you can make it.

Wood tiles in a bathroom? Especially a rental bathroom? You will end up replacing that all in just a year or two, so wood is not a great choice. Ceramic or vinyl will last a lot longer.

Well, first I would think that the plan should have happened before demolition.
You said it will be a rental property, so you will still own it, and you will still have to provide maintenance so don't get so cheap that you will burn yourself in the long run. Anything structural (of course) or anything inside the walls where your tenants can't go should be as good as you can make it.

Wood tiles in a bathroom? Especially a rental bathroom? You will end up replacing that all in just a year or two, so wood is not a great choice. Ceramic or vinyl will last a lot longer.

Well when I said wood tile I mean, tile that looks like wood. So I am not putting wood down, but a porcelain tile. Also I don't really believe a plan could be created until I tore everything down to the studs so I could see if there was any water damage. I guess I am just looking for, how big of a vanity for the space, suggestions on kinds of tile for the shower, or color ideas for the walk in shower. Would it be beneficial to open up the toilet room, where should the bench be placed in the shower, should I close off the second closet or should I leave it open? What kind of doors should I put up? Double door to the bathroom, or leave it as an open space? That is what I was looking for, not sure how clear I was since I was thinking about a lot as I was making the thread.

I think you should use the http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit_6551.aspx system, if you go that route, check the price of the product and then rethink the size of the shower.
All the high end houses have a door between the bathroom and toilet and then people take the door out..
Buy the closest off the shelf vanity and some extra wood to match so you can add to the sides to make it look custom.

I think you should use the http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit_6551.aspx system, if you go that route, check the price of the product and then rethink the size of the shower.
All the high end houses have a door between the bathroom and toilet and then people take the door out..
Buy the closest off the shelf vanity and some extra wood to match so you can add to the sides to make it look custom.

Alright perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much! I will finish the gut, keep the bathroom door on, rethink the shower size, perhaps scratch the walk in idea and just use a premade shower pan. I will get everything cleaned up, take a few more pictures and then pick out some color and material. Awesome, I will keep you updated!

The no lip idea is not that easy when you try to work out slope to the drain. So a shower pan is a good idea.

Back