Mdf wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelseylately226

Reaction score
We had bought a cheap black Walmart desk and wanted to paint it white after a while. My boyfriend said we had to sand it lightly to scuff the surface before we prime which we did.

I'm just now nervous because mdf is dangerous (?) and now we created some tiny particles that flew around in the air (had fan on) and landed in the carpet/ on our books. We did not use a machine just lightly scuffed surface with sand paper that I believe was 60.

Should I be concerned for our health? What to do now?

Welcome.
1st, you shouldn't use 60grit for scuffing. 100 for 120 would suffice, and the particulate matter, is likely just paint dust, and contains "0" formaldehyde.

Welcome to the forum.

That amount of dust MDF or paint will be of no health risk.

The world is full of dust and our bodies know how to deal with a great deal of dust before it becomes a problem. In today’s world no one is more than a few feet away from a mask that is questionable for filtering out virus but would work great for keeping airborne dust out of your lungs. Put one on when sanding and do your sanding outside or in the garage or with windows open and ventilation moving the air.

You didn’t mention the paint fumes and the mess of painting another good reason to be outside or in a garage or such.

I can't begin to count how many times mdf has been cut with a saw and had great amount of dust become airborne. If you did this for employment, I'd say get a fine particle breathing mask, the little amount you created, I'd be more worried about a locusts invasion. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to jump on this - this is my first post and I have been exposed to MDF dust lately. We are in the process of having a property developed. The joiners have been indoors cutting MDF skirting and architrave with a circular saw - they have an extractor but judging by the mess at the end of each day I would say the extractor is dealing with around 70% of the dust (the joiners don't wear masks and there isn't much ventilation). The joiners have been sweeping but there is still MDF dust everywhere. The property is empty as it is a redevelopment, but I have been in the house to remove dust from the new kitchen, the floor, it's on top of boxes, packaging of radiators etc... I have spent about 10 hours around wood dust this week (one of those days was me sweeping up and vacuuming for 75 minutes). I wore a Scan FFP2 Fold Flat disposable mask (as I have asthma so not great around dust), but my chest is very tight - I suspect from the MDF? The vacuum was left by the builder and was very poor - I took the lid off outside to find the filter bag was clogged with dust - the wind took it right off and blew the dust directly at me (I was still wearing my mask).

Is there a risk with this? I still have to get the MDF dust out of the house (to prepare for new flooring and painting) - the dust seems to get everywhere (on the surfaces and frames of the new windows, on the walls, boxes etc). I have ordered a proper mask, but what would people suggest? wet wipe the dust off the windows etc... and hire a proper vacuum for the job?

Last edited:
Welcome.
If your concern is a heralded belief that MDF affords you some risk, then limit your exposure and when the work is all done, and your moneys all gone, hire a dedicated clean-up crew.

NO!

MDF, and the components of it's composition, may in fact, be toxic to some, not to me.

However, I have never set up a mill, inside a dwelling, occupied or vacant.

What genetically, humans need to understand, is that there are different levels of susceptibility, based upon, your, specific genetics, and it's their individual responsibility, to protect themselves against any adversity.

I've been involved with the milling of practically all types of wood products, for in excess of 45yrs. & counting, and don't employ a face covering.

@Snoonyb - it isn’t really a mill - but they have cut probably 120 meters if MDF in the vacant dwelling. I have purchased a very good face covering today and used that whilst I clean and prepare for the new floor to be laid.

Understood. I insist, as a courtesy, any milling is accomplished outside the dwelling.

@Snoonyb thank you - I will insist the remaining is done outside (they have done 80% already and because we don’t live there we didn’t know until after the event and needed to get it cleaned for the next tradesmen).

In my assortment of tools, are dustpans, brooms and vacuums, and I try to leave a min. footprint.

Everyone should be careful with MDF and wood dust. Both are proven carcinogens -- you definitely do not want to breath the dust. Standard 'rubber band' masks are not sufficient, if you are working around MDF or wood. Use a professional 1/2 face dust mask, e.g. from 3M. Home Depot and Lowes carry them, e.g. the 3M 6002C.

RE the risks, please see:

https://www.elcosh.org/document/209...berboard+%28MDF%29+Safety+for+Carpenters.html
https://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/res...fety-kit/wood-dust-health-hazards-and-control
http://tceee.icahn.mssm.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2015/08/MDFforCarpenters.pdf

I had used an FFP2 mask but when I saw the dust was every I swapped for a half face mask with an ABEK1 Hg P3 RD filter.

As I said, there are personal standards that you subscribe to and satisfy you.

I started removing cut-back adhesive, with a scraper and chisel, in the late 1940's, install fiberglass insulation in the 1970's, removed asbestos VA tile in the 1970's. No face covering.

I used a respirator when painting epoxy specialty floor coverings.

Since 1969 I haven't been vaxed for anything other than tetnus(SP).

Knowing and understanding, yourself, will keep you safe.

I have to change my "A" train to Delaware schedule.

Back