Metal straps on stud wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofamike

Reaction score
I have these metal straps running along the studs in my unfinished basement that look like they were be used instead of the short pieces between the studs. I'm catching up on the proper terminology.:D
I was wondering if these are a 'cheap-out' or if they are acceptable. Also, should they be replaced if I plan to drywall?

I can post a picture if that helps.

Love this site!

MT3

Oh, that looks more like resilient channel (or "z-channel")...but I could be wrong. It's designed to help isolate vibrations between rooms. Perhaps the previous owner was going to put a home theater in this part of the basement, but never got around to it. Got any broader pics, showing more of the area?

How high are your walls. Resilient bars are usually spaced and theres more than one. I canda wonder if someone used that metal to help keep the studs straight especially if its over 8".

That's just plain wierd. I'd remove it. :)

The only thing i can think of is maybe it was framed with some bowed boards and the strip is to straighten them out. so if you do take it out then at least drywall the one side first.

Someone had an idea and ....well it was their idea of how to fix something. Or they used it to hang some special shelving....anyway it is doing nothing but keeping the studs in line. Not structural....or it would be everywhere.
Really no need for it. If it gets in the way of the sheetrock, remove it. :)
If you plan to drywall..start another thread, we can help in that department too.

Back