Metal Window Frame.....How to Repair?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by BobbyCrispy, May 31, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. May 31, 2018 #1

BobbyCrispy

BobbyCrispy

BobbyCrispy

Just wondering how I could repair the rusty metal frame of my laundry room window? It's about 57 years old ( as old as the house ) and has rusted and bent over the years. Photos attached, and any suggestions would be helpful.
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. May 31, 2018 #2

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

It might be easier and far less time consuming to replace that window with a vinyl sliding window. Typical cost would be Kessler than $200 if DIY, and no need to ever paint or remove rust from it.

3. May 31, 2018 #3

Johnboy555

Johnboy555

Johnboy555

I'm thinking that you may be referring to the rust of the frame that the window is inserted into. Not the actual window. This is installed when the concrete wall is poured. These almost always rust because they are installed in basement walls. AND homes with basements are usually in regions that have to deal with rain and snow. hmmm.. water and steel.. and the concrete will "wick" the moisture to the back of the steel where the problem can't be addressed.
    The best that you can do is treat it like any surface rust. Sand and steel brush the rust to good steel, paint with a good "rusty metal" primer and top coat with a good enamel paint.
    But.. over the years this problem will be happening time and again. Really nothing you can do about it.
    Good luck!

Mastercarpenty, kok328 and bud16415 like this.
  4. Jun 1, 2018 #4

Steve123

Steve123

Steve123

Basically, its like Johnboy says. But I think your root problem is that grade is too high. Should address that.

bud16415 likes this.