Metered Concrete Delivery Companies - A Google Rant

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
So, we're doing a bathroom renovation at our church to convert the original 1967 bathrooms into ADA compliant, handicapped accessible bathrooms with showers. No small task given the size of the room, but we made it through the permit process and the demolition is complete! The plumber came in yesterday and is sizing up his work of moving the toilet drains to accommodate ADA spacing and new wall coverings and to add a shower drain.

Once the plumbing is done and the rough-in inspection is done we'll need to pour a new slab. We figure it'll take maybe a yard and a half. Not really enough for a transit mix truck, so we figured we'd go with a metered delivery. A little more expensive per yard, but price competitive on small loads.

So I Google (and Bing for that matter) "metered concrete suppliers - Cary, NC" also Raleigh, concrete suppliers, Cary, NC and a few others. Coming up with zip. I did get a metered concrete company in Boston MA, not exactly local. I got a lot of concrete installers and the local transit mix companies.

Unfortunately, I threw out all my trusty old yellow pages. I think there is at least one metered supplier in the area, now if I could just figure out the magic words for the Google machine.

Rant off, unless anyone knows of one in the area. Until then, still searching.

So metered, you just pay for what you take? It would take a lot of small jobs to keep a truck busy in Mayberry.:trophy:

"Mayberry" is about 90 miles away and is called Mt. Pleasant in real life. It was the home of Andy Griffith. Cary is a city of 150,000+ people with a lot of building going on. When we moved here in 1995 the city was less than half this big. There is plenty of construction going on to keep the transit mix and metered companies in business.

This is a metered mix company, unfortunately, it is in Norfolk MA. http://mix-rite.com/ The concrete is mixed on-site as needed, you buy what you need. It is great for smaller batches that are a bit big for mixing by the bag in a gas driven mixer.

Of those listed, have you asked any for a referral to a "short-load" transit mixed vendor;
http://www.thebluebook.com/city-search.html?region=29&class=785&companylocatedin=Raleigh_NC&page=2

We're not at the point of needing it yet, I'm trying to find suppliers. Typically with a transit mixed load you pay a premium if you can't take several yards. That's where the metered companies shine. Slightly higher price per yard but competitive on small loads. We really don't want to rent a mixer and do it by the bag. You came up with the same list I did with Google and Bing.

When I search metered concrete delivery I get companies with the truck I'm looking for, but not in the metro area, heck not even in NC.

Those are all pretty far away. Fayetteville is 75 miles away, Yadkinville is 80+. Raleigh & Cary and Wake County, in general, is a fairly large metro area. I'm just surprised I can't find a metered concrete company.

Thanks for looking, but your results haven't been any better than mine. Hence the Google rant.

I understand, in a developing community the need has to catch up with the market.

We call them "short load" here because they carry the raw material, on the truck, and mix on site, to the need, and you are responsible for the clean out and disposal, because they do not have a batch plant to return too.

There are 4 or 5 in the LA/OC area serving several million residences.

We're over a million in the metro area and have been for some time. Durham is 15 miles away and is a decent sized city as well. We had at least one metered company when I lived in the Harrisburg PA area and at least 2 transit mix companies, Hempt Bros and Pennsy Supply. Raleigh/Durham is a much bigger metro area than the Harrisburg PA area.

"Mayberry" is about 90 miles away and is called Mt. Pleasant in real life. It was the home of Andy Griffith. Cary is a city of 150,000+ people with a lot of building going on. When we moved here in 1995 the city was less than half this big. There is plenty of construction going on to keep the transit mix and metered companies in business.

This is a metered mix company, unfortunately, it is in Norfolk MA. http://mix-rite.com/ The concrete is mixed on-site as needed, you buy what you need. It is great for smaller batches that are a bit big for mixing by the bag in a gas driven mixer.
Talk to placers in the area maybe you can share a delivery charge with one or two. People here wait sometime weeks so the placers can share the deliveries with other jobs. For sidewalks and other small jobs.

I think the term you are looking for is “volumetric concrete mixer” etc

These are the trucks that have all the components in bins and tanks and you tell them what you want and how much and they costume mix what you want and how much.

Not sure if there is one in your area but I think that’s the way concrete is trending.

Google the above terms and you will see photos of these rigs in action.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqSwE-X1dw[/ame]

There are at least two. The guy I'm working with on this project, who actually builds for a living has their numbers. One of them shuts down for the winter but should be open now.

Metered worked to bring up examples just none in my area. I tried just concrete suppliers, and the geniuses at Google gave me a bunch of concrete contractors first before they even got to the suppliers. You'd think both the transit mix and metered suppliers would come up in a search for concrete suppliers.

I did a search with "volumetric concrete mixer" and came up with pretty much the same results as "metered concrete suppliers".

I bet if I still had a copy of the yellow pages I could find him, this shouldn't be that hard. That said yp.com wasn't any better.

I did a search with "volumetric concrete mixer" and came up with pretty much the same results as "metered concrete suppliers".

I bet if I still had a copy of the yellow pages I could find him, this shouldn't be that hard. That said yp.com wasn't any better.
I can get my local yellow pages on line, at least I could the last time I tried.

Yes, and the link is a list of all the vendors, mfg. and suppliers in your area.

Do you suppose that one of them may have sold equip. for use in your area?

We've found two, but not through any help from Google, YP.com, or Bing.

You will not find too many mobile concrete batching tucks just because of the economics (low demand and high maintenance/acquisition costs).

Dick

Latest posts

Back