Mini lathe from my garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RafeTold

Reaction score
Hi all!
This spring I want to equip my garage to the maximum, I want to do some DIY and I need a lathe, who owns lathes, what can you advise? the main condition is that it would be pretty compact! Best Mini and Midi Lathe of 2021 [for Creative Handymen] there are many models presented here, but I only liked Shop Fox M1049, are there any reviews about it? or something as similar as possible in terms of configuration.
Thank advance!

If it was me I'd start on Craigslist.

Mini lathe can be handy. The biggest restriction, I find, is the size of the chuck and through hole. Bigger is better. Also, the tool-holding cross slides are typically not very robust, but you are not going to be cutting hardened steel.

You can find mini-lathes like the one by Grizzly, sold by everybody and his brother. Not sure if there is any difference, they all look identical.

The Shop Fox looks bigger physically and has bigger motor, but I am not familiar with it. If you are OK with the higher price, I suggest go with the Shop Fox.

Latest posts

Back