Minimum wage increase

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would move away from NY city to a place I could afford. Not everyone has the money to live waterfront either.

I live in the desert, not because I enjoy it here but because I can afford to live a nice life here. Same reason I'm going to idaho, it's cheaper and I don't have to work so hard.

Why do people move to the big cities, that's where the work is.
Why not say to coal miners pick up and move to where the jobs are.
You will find in Idaho, you will work for less also.
Just saying.

I just think sometimes you have to step back and takes statements people say at different times and try to make sense of it.

Jobs are everywhere. Big cities have more corporate type jobs but a big city is not the place for everyone or every job.

I did the research and prices for what I do are the same and in some cases higher in idaho with a lot less regulation and fees so I would get a pay raise if I kept doing what I do

Jobs are everywhere. Big cities have more corporate type jobs but a big city is not the place for everyone or every job.

I did the research and prices for what I do are the same and in some cases higher in idaho with a lot less regulation and fees so I would get a pay raise if I kept doing what I do

And as soon as you get there, there will be one more guy competing for the work. You might win by location but if the competitors are close, how do you break into that market.
I presume the work is being done now, enough work to support the industry and enough industry to support the work. Each new competitor makes the piece of pie smaller.

I'll do it tge same way I did here, work hard, be honest and do 120% and always attention to detail.

Where I live now is no different. It's not like I live in LA.

If you are good at what you do work hard and are honest you will succeed no matter where you are

I think people forget that a living wage is not a house in the suburbs with cable TV, internet and a cell phone and a new car or two in the driveway. When I was growing up a living wage was a shared apartment and a bus pass or crappy old car I had to work on, no cable TV, no internet and a land line phone for 7 bucks a month. I didn't eat out and I lived just fine. If I wanted to live on my own I got a studio or other small rental. I did it on 4 bucks an hour and didn't complain. When I wanted more money I got a second job and worked even harder. It's really not that hard to figure out unless you are lazy.

THIS^

My younger years were not easy , and tbh I am making it now but I don't have nice things . I dint finish highschool , home life was tuff and I lived out of my car alot in high school , the reason i dint finish , I'm not proud of it . But I got my GED , I worked minimum wage for years , did the 2 job thing . Got into an apprenticeship and busted *** . I always tried to work harder than the other guy .

Fast forward , I make a good living now . Not rich by any means , I support 3 kids and a wife . She just started working 2 years ago which helps but she dosnt make much . I drive an 02 truck , I don't have Internet or cable TV , I don't have toys to speak of . Basically we cut out all the BS and only buy what we need . Yes we have been building our house , but we have no nice furniture or things like that .

It's about making the money strech for the important things . I don't believe a "living wage " is an entitlement .

And as soon as you get there, there will be one more guy competing for the work. You might win by location but if the competitors are close, how do you break into that market.
I presume the work is being done now, enough work to support the industry and enough industry to support the work. Each new competitor makes the piece of pie smaller.

I needed a job, Could not find one anywhere, So I threw my stuff into a mustang and headed out.
I came across a plumbing shop and asked for a job. the man said he was not hiring at this time.
I told him.
Give me a shot, I will work for you FREE for 3 days, If at the end of that time
you are not satisfied with my work...I walk, no hard feelings
IF, you think I would be an asset to your company
I want top pay, I worked for him for 2 years, Left voluntary to go back home when some jobs opened up.

CANT find a job? you aint looking hard enough, sometimes you hang it ALL on the line.

THIS^

My younger years were not easy , and tbh I am making it now but I don't have nice things . I dint finish highschool , home life was tuff and I lived out of my car alot in high school , the reason i dint finish , I'm not proud of it . But I got my GED , I worked minimum wage for years , did the 2 job thing . Got into an apprenticeship and busted *** . I always tried to work harder than the other guy .

Fast forward , I make a good living now . Not rich by any means , I support 3 kids and a wife . She just started working 2 years ago which helps but she dosnt make much . I drive an 02 truck , I don't have Internet or cable TV , I don't have toys to speak of . Basically we cut out all the BS and only buy what we need . Yes we have been building our house , but we have no nice furniture or things like that .

It's about making the money strech for the important things . I don't believe a "living wage " is an entitlement .

I hear ya...When I was an apprentice, I lived in a van, scrounged coke bottles for gas money, My plumber fed me,,,BUT. I HUNG in there and learned

upvotes_zpsz58judfb.jpg

I needed a job, Could not find one anywhere, So I threw my stuff into a mustang and headed out.
I came across a plumbing shop and asked for a job. the man said he was not hiring at this time.
I told him.
Give me a shot, I will work for you FREE for 3 days, If at the end of that time
you are not satisfied with my work...I walk, no hard feelings
IF, you think I would be an asset to your company
I want top pay, I worked for him for 2 years, Left voluntary to go back home when some jobs opened up.

CANT find a job? you aint looking hard enough, sometimes you hang it ALL on the line.
You had a Mustang and you had gas to be able to travel. Some people don't have enough $ for transportation. Where I live there is no public transportation system so even if people had the $ to take a bus, there isn't one available.

Sadly those days are mostly over-- at least where I live. I know people who searched and searched for jobs but got told "Don't call, don't talk to me. Submit an application online." Sometimes it can take up to 2 years or more before a person can find another job-- if they can find one at all.

Things are particularly bad where I live because for one it is an "At Will" state so they can (and do) fire people for total BS and people get denied unemployment.

Waitstaff get paid less than minimum wage (they find loopholes to get around actually meeting minimum wage-- so they get like $2 to $4 an hour), people have to work two to three jobs but that means fewer jobs for other people, a lot of places only keep a skeleton staff and only work them an hour shy of fulltime hours.

But then, my state is in the crapper because Jindal repealed a bill that was voted in to place by the citizens that lost the state $800million in revenue annually AND he started up some BS where corporations (particularly ones he invested in) got tax breaks that actually gave them back more money than they paid in. During his reign, most of the unemployment offices closed (so people were told they had to file online but most didn't have computers) and then they shut down a lot of the public libraries, hospitals and clinics shut down so it takes months to get an appointment, and sales tax is up to 11% which means a lot of the poorer people can't afford to buy stuff-- which further hurts the economy. Granted the gas prices going down also made the economy take a hit, but it might not have been so bad if not for the other bad decisions.

Now, I don't think people should be getting paid $15 an hour for flipping burgers-- but I do think that they should get maybe $9 or $10 instead of less than $8. It's especially bad since most employees are only given part time hours so the companies can avoid giving them medical and other benefits. They fire lower tier people but they give big bonuses to higher ups.

I know that this is not necessarily representative of other places-- Louisiana is a particular effed up state right now.

But I do know that in general, the wages have not stayed proportional to inflation. There were studies that showed that if places like Walmart paid a living wage, it would only reduce their profits by 1%.

Last edited:
I had $200.00 dollars in my pocket, and a mustang that used oil and needed brakes. lol.
tag was expired and no insurance.

your whole post is one big propaganda lie , according to the obama administration.

there is a surplus of jobs in the US, . unemployment is at an all time low,

a.jpg

You had a Mustang and you had gas to be able to travel. Some people don't have enough $ for transportation. Where I live there is no public transportation system so even if people had the $ to take a bus, there isn't one available.

Sadly those days are mostly over-- at least where I live. I know people who searched and searched for jobs but got told "Don't call, don't talk to me. Submit an application online." Sometimes it can take up to 2 years or more before a person can find another job-- if they can find one at all.

Things are particularly bad where I live because for one it is an "At Will" state so they can (and do) fire people for total BS and people get denied unemployment.

Waitstaff get paid less than minimum wage (they find loopholes to get around actually meeting minimum wage-- so they get like $2 to $4 an hour), people have to work two to three jobs but that means fewer jobs for other people, a lot of places only keep a skeleton staff and only work them an hour shy of fulltime hours.

But then, my state is in the crapper because Jindal repealed a bill that was voted in to place by the citizens that lost the state $800million in revenue annually AND he started up some BS where corporations (particularly ones he invested in) got tax breaks that actually gave them back more money than they paid in. During his reign, most of the unemployment offices closed (so people were told they had to file online but most didn't have computers) and then they shut down a lot of the public libraries, hospitals and clinics shut down so it takes months to get an appointment, and sales tax is up to 11% which means a lot of the poorer people can't afford to buy stuff-- which further hurts the economy. Granted the gas prices going down also made the economy take a hit, but it might not have been so bad if not for the other bad decisions.

Now, I don't think people should be getting paid $15 an hour for flipping burgers-- but I do think that they should get maybe $9 or $10 instead of less than $8. It's especially bad since most employees are only given part time hours so the companies can avoid giving them medical and other benefits. They fire lower tier people but they give big bonuses to higher ups.

I know that this is not necessarily representative of other places-- Louisiana is a particular effed up state right now.

But I do know that in general, the wages have not stayed proportional to inflation. There were studies that showed that if places like Walmart paid a living wage, it would only reduce their profits by 1%.

Once the part of only working people 28 hours to avoid the health care is another problem the government created. Not every company can afford health care and some just don't want to offer it. Either way the government came in and told these companies that they are not allowed to give you enough hours to pay your bills. I know many companies that would hire you part time yet still give you close to 40 hours a week but you didn't have benefits, which is a lot better than 28 hours I think?

Once the part of only working people 28 hours to avoid the health care is another problem the government created. Not every company can afford health care and some just don't want to offer it. Either way the government came in and told these companies that they are not allowed to give you enough hours to pay your bills. I know many companies that would hire you part time yet still give you close to 40 hours a week but you didn't have benefits, which is a lot better than 28 hours I think?
Good point. That part of the ACA was a major flop. The corporate greed of the larger companies meant screwing over employees and the smaller companies couldn't afford it.

And I just re-read and realized that my post was not very clear. The tax thing that was in place before Jindal was very helpful and we had a surplus in the budget but when Jindal axed it, we lost $800million in revenue annually from that alone.

I don't think there are any perfect solutions to the current wage problem. It would be nice if there were juts more jobs in general to go around. I wish more companies had the attitude of the head of Costco-- with paying employees well. But they can afford it.

Read about this guy.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq8gQJpT_8M[/ame]

Cool , but an average Joe could not do that . Alot of those jobs require learned skills .

i learned skills sleeping in a van and going to work every day to a minimum wage job.

the reason i say this, is in my opinion, kids now, will not do what it takes to reach any goal

if it is not handed to them, easy to obtain. then it is to hard.

they want supervisor pay with out knowing what the job is.

Last edited:
i learned skills sleeping in a van and going to work every day to a minimum wage job.

the reason i say this, is in my opinion, kids now, will not do what it takes to reach any goal

if it is not handed to them, easy to obtain. then it is to hard.

they want supervisor pay with out knowing what the job is.

I get it :thbup:. My only thought was me or you could not obtain these jobs week to week . We could get one with dedication and will , over time .

I could adapt and probably do a different job every week. I am good at figuring things out and working hard

I agree with frodo that youth nowadays is not like what we all had to do growing up. We were all pretty self sufficient at a younger age, our parents let us or made us responsible for ourselves. We also didn't have as much communication and electronics to have input on our lives. Our influences were our families and neighbors. Not a bunch of social media telling us that manual labor is not for us. Sadly skilled trade requires labor which is why many have no interest

It's not that any guy couldn't learn the jobs that video guy did. It's that he only had a one week commitment. Obviously, he didn't blow into town, find a boss who would hire him cold.....for a week. (And who was taping him while he was working??)

Back