missing parquet tiles and holes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mukarakaplan

Reaction score
My house's entrance has parquet flooring from the 80s with a unique pattern. Little triangular tiles are missing here and there as shown in the photo #1 below. How can I fix them? Would putting some wood putty to fill them work?

Also there are drill holes (photo #2 below) that I want to fill in with wood putty, but I do not know which colors and putty brand to choose. Which colors would work well with these tiles?

Photo #1
20200707_211916.jpg
Photo #2
20200707_213148.jpg

The triangles I would make pieces from oak to match and glue them in. The holes could be drilled out and fixed with oak plugs the same way being careful to make the plugs from the side grain and then select a plug that matches the grain in that area and align the grain and glue it in. I have also seen people use a filler that is mixed with sawdust from the floor sanding. I did a couple spots where I had removed a wall and there were holes for wires I plugged and small nail holes I filled. You can see them if you look for them but that’s the charm of old floors.

Parquet floors are no longer the desired statement they once were and people are ripping the cheaper tile ones out right and left. Yours looks well done and if you like it spend the time and save it. It depends some on the rest of the room design along with your tastes.

The holes are just nail holes.
The floor is lifting up, as these floors often do.
So there are finish nails pounded in there.
The floor likely continued to move, and now the nails have been pulled through.

I'm with Jeff on this one.
Somethings already really wrong if someones had to drill all those holes to pull it back down.
Any filler used is just going to make it look worst and likely not going to stay in place over time.

It really boils down to if the OP likes the floor and has a strong desire to save it and the look, and also if the OP has the time and money and skills to replace the floor with a similar strip hardwood floor. There are dozens of options if he wants to rip it out from tile to laminate and everything in between.

If the whole floor is lose then that is a different question, or is it just the 10 pieces shown that were not repaired correctly.

All ways of repairing or replacing the floor are DIY if you have some skills and tools.

The OP asked just about filling the holes and the screw or nail holes could be filled and made to look better maybe even good enough. The triangle holes IMO are too large to fill and come out without looking like a patch job. All these products shrink when they dry and it is a lot of messing around to get them filled and flush and then there is no wood grain so they don’t look correct. If it was in a closet I might say go for it with plastic wood but out in a main floor maybe not.

The look is no longer a desirable look for flooring as the trend is away from it unless you are a Boston Celtic fan. It is like oak in the kitchen where now people want white or a black fridge where now they want stainless. It changes so often I can’t keep up and I just like what I like in my old age. But for resale it is for sure a negative both in style and condition the way it is.

Back