Mobile home floor sag beam size?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you guys are awesome, thanks

I plan on staggering the beam in 3 lengths like flooring.

Man you guys are awesome, thanks

I plan on staggering the beam in 3 lengths like flooring.

As soon as I said it I realized thats a.bad plan.

Should be Basically like this?

--------------------
-----
---------_

As soon as I said it I realized thats a.bad plan.

Should be Basically like this?

--------------------
-----
---------_
Up here we haven't done that stagger for years we always just but join the beam over a post, It is what the engineers want now.
One said it to me like this. when you cut one ply in a 2 ply beam you now have a fat beam like a two ply with one doing all the work, The extra pieces will stop it from bending but guess where it will break when you load it past the limit of one.

O... well then, I had that all wrong.
So I need to buy 10' 2x10's rather than 16's

Hopefully you'll realize that nightmare, before its too late.

Yeah I have been waiting to start the project. Just getting the footings geared for now and clearing away as much dirt and debris as I can.

Yeah I have been waiting to start the project. Just getting the footings geared for now and clearing away as much dirt and debris as I can.

You have your work cut out for you.

The fallacy in splicing composite headers, all composed of equal lengths of lumber, over a post, is that in your case you then have 6 unequal crowns to deal with, which equates to a gold mine for a time and material contractor.

If your going to use that method, then save yourself some of the misfortune by using select grade DF instead of #2.

The houses we lifted, in a day, in the 1970's were built in the 20's and 30's.

Back