Moisture in attic space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMoore

Reaction score
I live in a mobile home in south Carolina so the heat and humidity are fairly top notch. The attic cavity is ventilated, but no fans are present to help with pulling or pushing air in/out/through. Over the past year ive seen multiple water stains show up on the ceiling especially in the colder rooms of the house. There is enough moisture collecting that the water is literally running down the walls in these rooms as well. Im assuming it would be a major benefit but figured id ask some people with some experience or knowledge on the subject. If i were to put an exhaust fan in the attic cavity to pull air out, would this help with the moisture issue? If so, do you think it would be enough of a benefit to spend several hundred dollars to get the fans to do so? Its a 1989 model single wide mobile home that could definitely be in better shape but for the time being its a roof over my families head.

I've done some volunteer work on older mobile homes in Appalachia. Chasing leaks is never fun and a prime cause of failure of mobile homes and stick built homes as well. When you say colder rooms do you mean air-conditioned rooms or cold in winter? Could this moisture be coming from within the mobile home? Do you run fans while showering and cooking? Is there skirting around the bottom and is the ground covered with plastic? Mobile homes typically have limited insulation.

Fans in attics are really good at pulling conditioned air out of the living space and exhausting it to the great outdoors especially if the fan pulls more air than the vents permit into the attic.

Welcome.
If you have moisture on the interior walls, your heating and cooling system either is not operating correctly or you are unaware of a fan only setting, which would circulate air.

Window A/C's may also cure the problem.

A fan, or 2, placed on the ends of the attic space, facing out will exhaust air, and they don't need to be large in size or CFM.

Back