Moisture On Exterior Brick Wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbcolclasure

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1 year old house that was built on a block and fill foundation with a poured slab. On the lowest corner of the house in an area that does not get a lot of sun, I'm getting a lot of moisture seeping through the brick veneer and it's also coming out of the weeping holes. Ground drains have been installed in this area of the house which has helped slightly. I'm getting green algae growing on the brick in this area and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to get this brick to dry out. Thanks!

Brick absorbs moisture and releases it on the house side of the brick and weep holes should help in getting the moisture out. To much water may indicate a bigger problem, roof leak, plumbing leak,
poorly flashed windows or doors. Do you have an outside tap near the area and was the hose attached over the winter?

I am thinking maybe the foundation under the brick is cool enough to condense out moisture in this location. For example, if the foundation under the brick is at 65 degrees but you have muggy weather with dewpoints 70 and higher, the moisture in the air will condense out. If this is indeed happening, somehow getting sun to this location so the surface under the brick can warm up above the dewpoint would cause the condensation to stop. But then again, if you are in an area with such hot muggy weather, your foundation is probably pretty warm too.

Back