mold and mildew resistant grout

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by danboston, Apr 3, 2011.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 3, 2011 #1

danboston

danboston

danboston

Does anyone know if there is a tried-and-true grout out there for tiling bathroom shower stalls that is mold and mildew resistant?

I am considering using the Swanstone shower kit or tiling a new shower stall in my basement and am very concerned about mold and mildew. I hear that the Swanstone products are very good in regards to resistance to mold and mildew.

However, I am also concerned that the Swanstone panels will start coming off the walls in about 10 years, whereas, tile is pretty much maintenance free (other than potential mold-mildew issues).

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 5, 2011 #2

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

I'd use a nail on enclosure, not a cheap stick on one. The nail on ones are 3 times thicker.
    Any100% silicone caulking with the words kitchen and bath or mold resistant will work fine near the shower.

3. Apr 19, 2011 #3

CMHbob

CMHbob

CMHbob

Veteran Rehabber

I agree with Joe that a "nail to the stud" shower enclosure is a good solution to a basement shower stall. I've installed several of these with good results.

If you are still looking at a tile enclosure with mildew resistant grout, investigate epoxy grout with Microban (an anti-microbial inhibitor). Epoxy grout is stainproof if installed and cleaned properly. There are several brands on the market, but here is a link to one that will get you more info. The downside is epoxy is more expensive than cementious grout and more difficult to install. It requires a different float, has less working time and is harder to clean up. Take a look at comments in another forum (click here) before you DIY.