Motion sensor add on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgy

Reaction score
Is it possible to add a motion sensor or a remote motion sensor (not dusk to dawn) of some sort to an existing outdoor wall mount light sconce? We don’t want to buy a new fixture that isn’t going to match. Attached is the fixtures I have that do not have sensors.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2E63EFA3-ECBE-44FB-B83E-868A65059551.jpeg
    2E63EFA3-ECBE-44FB-B83E-868A65059551.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
Since your concerned about the aesthetics, and adding a motion sensor to the fixture would require an extension box, as well as some decorative sconces, which you may find a bit cumbersome, you could interrupt the switched power to these fixtures and install the sensor on the wall or in a soffit.

There are ways to add a motion sensor in another area than right next to or attached to the lights themselves. It really depends on the set up of the lights presently and the ability to access the wiring that is there in order to tap into it.

Example of what I mean:
Let's say these two lights are on both sides of your garage door mounted on the wall. If the wiring to these lights are accessible from the inside of the garage or somewhere else you can mount on the outside of the garage up in the eves a weather proof fixture box with a hub and motion sensor attached to it. This motion sensor can be off to the side and aimed at your driveway so when there is motion on your driveway the lights will kick on. The motion sensor does not have to be mounted right next to either of the lights. It depends also how you can patch into your existing wiring. What type of sensor you use is the question. How much do you want to spend. You can get a basic sensor from HDepot/Lowes for around $50 (parts) or go all out and use a WiFi motion sensor so you switch communicates with the motion sensor. How much those are I don't know and you would have to do some research on those. The point is that the motion sensor does not have to attach to the lights. Depending on which route you go inexpensive or WiFi will determine the labor involved and the overall cost. There are far more options available nowadays since technology is so advanced. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

I have patio floods controlled by an X10 wall switch. I added a couple of battery operated motion detectors to turn the floods on. An X10 wall switch controlling the fixtures plus an X10 transceiver plugged into an outlet would be required. With the X10 transceiver a remote can also be used to turn the fixtures on/off. The downside is if you want constant on the motion detector will turn them off after the selected time if triggered. I guess one could shroud the detector if they were wanted constant on.

An ebay search can often find reasonable prices on X10 modules.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Back