Mount TV Bracket on Chimney Breast.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diymonkey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

We have a TV to wall mount with an appropriate bracket, but when I looked closer at the chimney breast It appears the breast has been boarded with ply.

I guess my query is what should I do? The house is rented, so removing boards isn't really an option.

Is there an obvious reason the breast might be boarded apart from very poor brickwork behind?

Would spring clips work on ply of a certain width? Are there fixings that would fix through the board into the brick behind? Would you risk it at all?

Any/all advice sincerely appreciated!

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your reply. I've examined the breast and there are no apparent studs in the central part, just long metal brackets(?) down the left and right edges/corners.

I've only used a magnetic detector so far, so will borrow a stud detector tonight. Tapping it with my knuckle indicates something behind the board in parts - whether studs or parts of the brickwork though I'm not sure.

Will re-post tonight when I've run the stud detector over it.

If the plywood is secure, why not just attach your antenna using pipe half-clamps, screwed into the plywood with short (but stout) wood screws, top and bottom?

If you drill a small hole, you will be able to tell how thick it is and how close the brick is. What has the landlord have to say about it?

Back