Mounted a Wall Unit, and it says that i have AC wire after i mounted

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Sounds like a phantom voltage caused by the electronics in the surge suppressor. These stud finders are not measuring voltage in the wires they are looking for signals coming from any source real or phantom. Digital meters will also show these voltages also and are not that reliable set on a 600v scale and measuring down to 1v.

If you had no reason to think there were wires in the wall before you started they didn’t just show up after you plugged in the surge protector.

We can agree to disagree, because the neutral is the path that completes the circuit when the surge suppressor is energized.

Neutral to ground sometimes does read a voltage. Turn the unit on and check the outlet between neutral and ground and see if you get the same reading.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Sounds like a phantom voltage caused by the electronics in the surge suppressor. These stud finders are not measuring voltage in the wires they are looking for signals coming from any source real or phantom. Digital meters will also show these voltages also and are not that reliable set on a 600v scale and measuring down to 1v.

If you had no reason to think there were wires in the wall before you started they didn’t just show up after you plugged in the surge protector.
That might be right but if he has damaged the wire and is now reading the neutral, this is the time to find out for sure.

Giving this some more thought, I wonder how close the surge suppresser was to the bracket, because the AC reading could be from the surge suppresser or it's cord in a close proximity to the bracket, and the likelihood that the OP was depressing the depth function on the stud finder.

Back